We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,899 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Thinking of heading to Xishuangbanna around Christmas or early January. Any advice on weather at this time of year - ad the route of the elephants?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

I went there two years ago in January for a week. It was pleasant weather, short sleeves and jeans I recall, around 24-25C and beautiful blue skies during the day.

It was chilly in the morning and after sunset, but I found it a nice respite from Shanghai's dismal January weather. I did not see any elephants. We mostly visited the very professional botanical gardens in the area. The city itself is laid out with beautiful wide boulevards filled with tropical foliage on the center islands and on each side of the street. On some streets you will see original public art and metal sculptures. As you would expect, everything is reasonably priced. Nice place to hang out, as it is a relaxing laid-back town.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,899 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Thks, SBS. Very useful.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
231 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Hi

Can you recommend a place to stay ? Also is it possible to go and see Pu Er tea being made ?

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

zhuhai,

you have to travel to the nat park - about 2hrs plus outside of jinghong to see the elephants.

al the accom there is bad, with the jungle huts super basic.

you will hear them in the night,iif lucky early morning they will be watering near you. actually india is pretty good for elephants.

elephant show is entertaining.

if you stay there on the spur of the moment - ensure you have transport out!

actually at night it is an interesting place, moon light/pitch black - take a torch and batteries - and ohh - don't let the snakes into your room at night....

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

I wrote a couple reviews about places to stay. After looking at lots of places, we ended up at the Yunnan Aviation Sightseeing Hotel. Very accommodating staff. Let us pick our own room and looked at several in different hotel locations. Nice breakfast noodle bar. No pool.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

hi SBS - yes i have read your reviews.

hence i stay at jin banna ( or as i call it the golden banana)- - recommended by some friends who are in govt tourist agency, apparentlybest place in town, - i have personally checked most of the other top end stuff - imo it's the best. . - pool is good, grounds are nice, rooms a little dated, but somewhat better than what you show, but a nice place close to town centre.

what is wrong with houzi shan - why don't people ( westerner) go there - is it the gondola ride across the river.

actually, the road back from from the elephart park is the place i saw loc's burning the hair off a just killled animal for a wedding - with an oxy torch... wish i had got an invite- looked like a good party!

Hanoi
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Hi.

I also have plan to go to Xishuangbanna in December. I'll stay there in 2 days then go to Wenshan. Could you advise places I should visit in 2 days in Xishuangbanna and how to move from Xishuangbanna to Wenshan ( by bus/ train... )?

Also is it possible to entry China from Vietnam by using laissez-passer? I'll stay there in total 5 days.

Thanks.

Edited: 10 December 2009, 04:31
Mentioned in this post
Xishuangbanna
Xishuangbanna
85 Reviews
Jinghong, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

The best season to visit Xishuangbanna is from November to April, so there should be no much difference between Dec and Jan. Some recommended hotels:

1. 4* Tai Garden Hotel(RMB664 per night): close to Ethnic park

2. 3* Villa-style Crowne Plaza (RMB442 per night): close to Tai St.

3. 2* Jinfeng hotel, Banna hotel, Banna plaza (RMB240 per night): in city center

Good Luck!

WildChina

Edited: 10 December 2009, 14:55
Mentioned in this post
Xishuangbanna
Xishuangbanna
85 Reviews
Jinghong, China
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

Weather looks warm by day, cool at night.

wunderground.com/global/stations/56959.html

Anyone stay at Manytrees International Youth Hostel yet?

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xishuangbanna in December or January?

We did take the cable car across the river, and didn't scare me a bit. The cable cars coming down Zhangjiajie and Huanglong are much more adventurous.

The amusement park is a typical Chinese experience. To a sociologist or anthropologist, it tells a lot about how the Chinese think tourists have fun. I find these places curious in a way. When in China adapt and you will have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Zhangjiajie
Zhangjiajie
Hunan, China