We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

we arrive in Shanghai on april 8th and depart april 16th . our daughter is in living in hangzho China and is thinking of taking us to xishuanagbada, a 3 hr flight from shanghai.

my gut says to short a trip to spend 3-4hrs on a flight . I would fly- maybe a shorter flight ? we must end up in hangzho to drop her back and depart from the pudong airport. on 4/16

I would greatly appreciate feedback

Thank you

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

Well, if you stay overnight in Shanghai on the 8th, depart on the 9th for Jinghong, and spend 9th through 13th or 14th there, flying back to Shanghai on the 14th or 15th and spend balance of your time in Shanghai, it's doable. Your daughter can get herself between Shanghai and Hangzhou.

The outbound flight is a nonstop, 4 hours. The return flight connects through Kunming so total of 5 hours. And the price is outrageous, about RMB 4500 (USD 720) per person for round-trip air fare. Perhaps she wants to go because it's the water splashing festival time? (similar to Songkran in Thailand, and IMO a particularly good reason to avoid it due to crowds and high prices and aggravation). I personally don't think spending this sort of money for 4-5 day trip is worth it. I wouldn't even rank Xishuangbanna as one of the great Chinese destinations.

She may be looking to go to a place she hasn't already been to, but surely there are some other ideas on the table that would be more cost-effective yet fit nicely within a 5-6 day period? I can't begin to give suggestions unless I know where you/she have already been.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 16:04
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

Do you mean "Xishuangbanna"? Also your daughter lives in Hangzhou? That's kind of a long way to go for a short trip to China.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

I thoroughly enjoyed Jinghong, shorter to spell and say than Xishuangbanna. The water splashing festival is unique and certainly a cultural experience. This is the tropics of China, sandwiched between Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar. The cuisine is really fine.

The fares even today are not as high as cited above with transfers at Kunming each way.

Would I suggest you go? Depends I guess somewhat on your deciding to go along with your daughter's wishes. (I do not want to imply "spoiled," but how much weight do her wishes have versus yours?)

Have you seen the rest of China? I think you will have a great time in Jinghong. The weather will be dependably warm. There are unique botanical gardens, a "cultural amusement park" that is a curious Chinese invention, and simply sight-seeing in a very beautifully laid out city. There is the festival atmosphere which some will say is overcrowding and others will say are a lot of people having a great time. Join the fun, they will say. I agree with the latter. Join the fun, if you can get good hotel rooms this late.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

Sparky, but if you've got some sort of magic on airfares, put it out there. Even using the segmentation strategy via Kunming, booking anything that works with enough connection time is still coming out at RMB 4420 for April 9-14 (15th is even worse). And particularly on the outbound, eats up a full day of travel daylight. (Please don't even suggest putting these people on Spring Airlines, particularly for the Shanghai-Kunming or vice versa segments). I wouldn't even entertain a $500 per person internal airfare cost for a trip this short.

I guess we all have different definitions of "fun" and IME, water-throwing festivals are not much fun for most foreign adult visitors, after the first hour or two.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

To Original Poster, have you spent time in and around Hangzhou? It has a lot to offer and your daughter could show you around. Perhaps include a two or three day side trip into Anhui, particularly to Yellow Mountain and towns nearby.

I've been to a couple of these water splashing things, here and in Thailand. Great if you are eight years old or drunk.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 08:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

This us much more than I expected and thank you very much for the information. I'm giving this some thought / looking into another flight only 2 hrs away from shanghai suchuan and the cities are suppose to be reminiscent of cities in Tibet

Any thoughts.

While in Shanghai we are also looking for a day trip by train

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

This us much more than I expected and thank you very much for the information. I'm giving this some thought / looking into another flight only 2 hrs away from shanghai suchuan and the cities are suppose to be reminiscent of cities in Tibet

Any thoughts.

While in Shanghai we are also looking for a day trip by train

Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

Thank you. We are now thinking about Sichuan

Jiuzhaigou. 9 Tibetan villages.

And possibly getting a guide

Thoughts

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

First thank you very much for the feed back

Yes we will spend 2 days w daughter in hangzoa

Tentative plans fly to shanghai land april 8 shanghai. Stay at Marriott tomorrow's square 9-10 2 full days in shanghai.

11-12-13 to Sichuan maybe then 14-15 hangzoa 16 pudong airport

Any thoughts please.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from shanghai to xishaungbada?

As mentioned above, the logical place to go from Hangzhou is into neighboring Anhui. Look at a map. Specifically Yellow Mountain (Huangshan 黄山) and surrounding ancient villages, such as Hongcun and Xidi.. Easily accessible by bus.

Save Sichuan for another year. Takes lots of time and effort to get from place to place in China. Cluster your destinations. Don't go zooming all over the place in such a short span of time.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 13:45