We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yunnan 7 days in January

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Yunnan 7 days in January

Hello! I will be traveling around Yunnan in January for 7 days. I have read some forums about Shangri La and Dali but I would like to know if it is easy to see the elephants? Are there many places you can see them? Which other animals can you see around (monkey or tigers)?

Any towns I shouldn't miss?

All advices are welcome! Thanks!

Xishuangbanna
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Gajah Liar Valley
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Peacock Garden, Sipsongpanna
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
9 replies to this topic
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
172 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Hi, there:

Please do not expect to see any elephant in DaLi and Shangri-La. They are in the other part of YunNan Province where it is warmer.

There are wild animals in the mountains in dali and shangri-la. but not really in captivity.

But for sure you will see some in the zoo in KunMing City, there are animals like elephant, golden hair sub-nosed monkey, bear.....etc.

Definitely not in Dali, nor in shangri-la

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Wild Elephant Valley in Mengla County,Xishuangbanna Prefecture.You can see many wildlife in rainforest in Xishuangbanna if you hike there.

Gold Monkey Reserve in Tacheng,Weixi County,Diqing Prefecture,NW Yunnan Province.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

The south of Yunnan will be much warmer and more pleasant at that time of year. Like @Wanderchina suggested, be sure to go to Xishuangbanna/Jinghong and nearby points.

As to seeing animals in zoos in Kunming, you have a choice. The easy choice is the Yuantong Zoo 圆筒动物园 which is in the city center.

The other zoo, which is much more interesting, is the wild zoo where many animals roam free. 野生动物园。 It's pretty far to the NE, outside the city proper. You ride on special carts through roaming animals in a more natural habitat.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 14:47
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,480 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Never seen wild animals while there. Also remember that it will be winter.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Yes, JP is right. Winter will have an impact. I've only been during the warmer times of year.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Junuary is time to see Black-Necked Crane Reserve in Dashanbao,Zhaotong City,NE Yunnan.

If you don't want to travel so long to such remote place,you can see sea-gulls in Dianchi Lake in Kunming,or just in Cuihu in Kunming downtown.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Hi! Wow, I am going to Yunnan too soon for 6 days and I can't decide a good route to take and where to fly into...I guess maybe I want to ask what the absolute MUST see's are in Yunnan?

Do the main towns like Shangri-la, Dali and Jinghong have overnight buses?

I think Yunnan tourism is going to explode soon.. it's so beautiful!!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

Travellers don't take overnight sleeper bus for the sake of safety.You can either fly or take overnight sleeper train between Kunming and Lijiang,or Kuming and Dali. You'd better fly between Dali and Jinghong.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yunnan 7 days in January

#7 -- >>"I think Yunnan tourism is going to explode soon.. it's so beautiful!!"

Tourism here has already exploded.

Reply to: Yunnan 7 days in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted