We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

adaptor

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
adaptor

Hi, Just wondering if I need an adaptor to run my lap top...The cabana that i have rented does have WIFI, but I question the electricity to run it? Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: adaptor

Nicaragua generally uses the same type electrical outlets as in the United States or Canada. Brought my laptop too and never remember having a problem with an outlet. You may want to stop at a local hardware store for a 3-prong to 2 prong adapter (in case your plug-in in Nica isn't grounded/polarized, which happens even in the US in older buildings). Shouldn't be more than $1-2 for this simple adapter, and my guess is if your cabana has wifi, it will have reasonably updated electrical.

Quick Google search found this site that seemed useful: …telenet.be/worldstandards/…plugs_a

Now, general power outages in Nica are another story...

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: adaptor

Thanks for the info....I just cant imagine leaving my lap top home...lol. :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: adaptor

I understand all too well...just remember to see all of Nicaragua's natural beauty (i.e. volcanoes, Islas Isletas, Ometepe Island, etc), plus it's cultural attractions. Part of Nicaragua's attraction is that it's not overly commericalized and "touristy". That's what Costa Rica offers - not necessarily bad, just a very different experience. Have a great trip.

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: adaptor

We will be in Nic. for four months, so will be visiting all the attractions and enjoying the beauty. We are so excited. :)

nicaragua
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: adaptor

Don't forget a surge protector as power surges are the norm. Consider using this for any electronic appliances you may bring with you (i.e. battery chargers, cell phone charger etc.)

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: adaptor

thank you so much, never thought of that... If you think of anything else we may need to bring, please advise...Is mosquito netting a necessity??

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: adaptor

Surge protector probably isn't a bad idea...I probably lucked out with my computer that I didn't bring one but never had a problem.

On mosquito netting. I think it will depend somewhat on what areas you're staying. You mention a cabana, though not specifically where. If you happen to be more in a city, maybe not so necessary. I think, however, if you'll be on the Caribbean coast, it might be more necessary (though I'm not certain on that). For the record, I didn't bring one and never had a problem, though tended to be more in cities in Nicaragua. I guess if not too expensive and not too bulky, it doesn't hurt to bring it. Probably somewhat better on overkill than to need it and not have it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: adaptor

Thank you, I think I will bring one, a surge and netting that is. If there is anything else you may think of, that we may need to know, please advise. Down to ten days before we leave...and counting.

Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: adaptor

There's probably not a whole lot to bring that you can't buy once down there if you decide you need it. While not nearly as prevalent as in the US or Canada, there are some larger "big box" stores. Managua has La Union stores, which will make you think you're in a Wal-Mart, other than everything is in Spanish. There are also Pali Stores around the country, a smaller version of Wal-Mart for more basic stuff (in fact, I know Pali and think La Union are subsidaries of WalMart - maybe can't get away from them...) ATM's are also readily available, and they all seemed to offer both Cordobas and US Dollars, so getting currency shouldn't be a problem (and if you haven't gotten Cordobas yet, I wouldn't worry about getting them 'til you're in Managua Airport and then find an ATM. Just make sure to call your bank if you haven't already to have them set up your card for use in Nicaragua ahead of time). ATM's also always seemed to ask if you wanted to do business in English and Spanish if your Spanish isn't perfect.

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: adaptor

Thank you so much for this information, you have been so helpful to us and we appreciate it :) .