We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals in san juan del sur

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
car rentals in san juan del sur

I am going to San Juan del Sur Feb. 6 for 3 weeks. Do I need to rent an SUV to get to the beaches? I know it is dry season so I thought I could get away with a compact car. I've driven down dirt pot holed roads in Kauai on the way to beaches and use small cars but drive slowly. Car rentals are very expensive.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

Yeah i think a compact car will do as long as you are patient.

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

How come everyone tells me if I drive to any of the beaches near San Juan del Sur I will need a small SUV? Do you think I'll get stuck?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

No, i do not think so, i ahve made all the way to Morgan's Rock in a car and the road there is in bad shape. Just likw you said as long as you drive carefully.

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

Have you ever driven to Playa Maderas or Playa Marsella in a compact?

Edited: 26 January 2010, 21:36
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

This past Saturday I rented a compact car in San Juan Del Sur and hit the different beaches.

You can definitely get around in a compact car on the dirt roads during dry season. However, I STRONGLY suggest you get full insurance coverage on the car.

I drove to Playa Coco, Playa Remaso, and Playa Maderas in the compact. The roads are pretty terrible, so there's a good chance you'll put some damage on the car.

When I returned my car the following day at Managua airport, the attendant marked some additional damage on the car, but I had full coverage so I think I'll be ok.

Have fun!

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

If you were going to these beaches everyday for 3 weeks, would you still take a compact or small SUV?

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

The compact will get you around, but perhaps the SUV might be a bit more comfortable.

If I were to rent again during dry season, I'd go with the compact to save money.

8. Re: car rentals in san juan del sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:17