We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis late at night

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis late at night

I am trying to decide which hotel to stay at. We like to stay out late at night, so being able to get back to the hotel late at night is a concern. Many places we have stayed in Central America it is difficult to get a taxi at night. Is this the case in SJDS? I am looking at Inn on the Pacific because it looks like an easy place to walk back to at night. I would like to stay under $100 a night. Park Avenue Villas also look like a good option, but is the walk safe? Thanks for all the advice.

M

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis late at night

Try Gran Oceano or La Posda Azul.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis late at night

When I visited SJDS, I stayed at a small, basic hotel in town (Hotel Colonial...fit the bill for basic comfort, though nothing specacular. Was around $40/night, I found it comparable to a decent Super 8 or similar). I walked around at night and didn't feel threatened. I don't remember where Park Avenue Villas is, but if it's in town near the other hotels and hostels, I imagine you would be okay. Of course, like anywhere,use common sense.

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis late at night

El Puerto on the right and near the beach as you enter town is close to the beach and the mercado. I was in San Juan Del Sur by myself until my husband arrived 3 days later and I didn't have a problem. I was out late, but in before midnight. It's safe and the El Puerto is a simple, budget, inn that is as secure a Fort Knox.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 17:41
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis late at night

I just came back from a wonderful vacation to sjds, ometepe and granada Nicaragua. WE had a great time in every place we visited. We felt very safe at night in Sjds, we stayed at Aventura Lodge and we found it incredibly amazing, billingual staff, wonderful people who will make you feel like if you are at home away from home, a boutique hotel, a nice walk from the beach 15 minutes but there are taxis that will take you there for only 15 nicaraguan money. Even with the distance from the beach i will always recommend it to relatives and friends.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis late at night

I would try the following hotels in SJDS:

Casa Blanca

Gran Oceano

Hotel Colonial

These hotels are all centrally located and you can easily walk to them at any time of night. They are all in the $40-60 range. No taxi required!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis late at night

Posada Azul is also a good, and you don't need a taxi as it is so central.

The really unsafe part of SJDS is north on the main street & beach, so stay the townside of the Iguana Bar and you should be fine

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis late at night

Oops, I forgot one thing - don't get into a car just because they say they are a taxi.

Crystal River...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis late at night

Hey there!

Was wondering where you stayed on Ometepe. We are planning a trip in December and were looking at TOTOCO for about 5 nights. What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts on this :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis late at night

Hi,

My husband and I spent 6 weeks with Ralph and Renda at the Park Avenue Villas. We would go out everynight and there is no need for taxi's. In SJDS you are within walking distance of every bar ,restaurant,and hotel. The streets are all well lit, and we never, ever felt unsafe. It is an amazing little village,full of friendly local people.If you stay at the Inn on the Pacific make sure you take heavy duty ear plugs! It is beautiful and quiet at the Park Avenue Villa's .I recommend them 100%. We are going back again next year! Enjoy your holiday.

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis late at night

I just returned from Ometepe and would highly recommend Finca del Sol - small eco-farm - only 2 adobe cabinas (very beautiful) and a fabulous loft. The owners are so friendly you will feel like you are staying with family and it is only a short walk from the lake.

Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur
Recent Conversations