We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adapter/charger needed?

california
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Adapter/charger needed?

I'm from the states and traveling there next week - does anyone know if an adapter is needed to plug in chargers for camera etc?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

No it is all the same. The only issue is that the power goes out a lot. When it goes on and off it can blow out electronics. Either be carful about leaving things plugged in or bring a powerstrip.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

Powerstrip with a surge protector ;)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

Though it would be a little bulky, probably not a bad idea. I didn't personally use one and had no issues with surges but the other poster is correct - Nicaragua is unfortunately well known for power outages. Also, while the plug in is the same, it may not have the polarized plug-in (i.e. the one plug is larger than the other), which adds some protection. It would be similar to older buildings here back home. You'll be able to plug in just fine and get electricity but may still have some surge issues.

San Juan Del...
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

No adapter needed but a power strip with a "Surge protector" is a good idea..When I use my computer,after I am done,I unplug it..We get "power surges" here..

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

I don't travel with a surge protector but I don't even bring a camera ;) I don't travel with much of anything and especially nothing worth being surged. But I know many people who do and when a storm comes up they run around and unplug everything. At home here in Georgia our power surges often too. We lost lots of stuff when we first moved here before we learned our lesson. San Juan Del Sur power would go out even when there wasn't a storm. My friend had an itouch she was trying to charge, so we were just careful about only plugging it in when we needed to and then unplugging it once charged.

If you haven't thought of it already, since we are on the topic of power out, bring a flash light. This is something I always travel with where ever I go, but especially to Central America. It suprises me how many people don't. Many cell phones have a flashlight built in.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 23:07
US
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

Nowhere is worse than Miami, not even Nicaragua when comes to power surges. If it is just for a few days, the chances to blow your electronic are equal to get a cold.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

What you need is a powerstrip with a real surge protector. This goes for all Central America. The cheapie powerstrips only say they have surge protectors. I once had a powersurge hit a rechargable flash unit in Honduras... The thing melted and started to ooze off the table.

8. Re: Adapter/charger needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur