We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kitesurfing

Dallas
1 post
Save Topic
kitesurfing

Where is the best place to kitesurf in Nicaragua ? Is it possible in San Juan del sur ?

Thanks,

Mike.

fort worth
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: kitesurfing

I am interested too. So, please, Let me know if someone can help on this. Is it possible close to managua?

I'm going there the 5th of april, so I need to figure out if I can bring my gear.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kitesurfing

I, too, would like to know!

where's all the Tripadvisor Kiteboarders?

Holland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kitesurfing

There is no or hardly any kitesurfing in Nicaragua. Due to the predominant offshore wind, lake Nicaragua would be the best location. Eventually Las Salinas bay between Nicaragua and Costa Rica (sideshore). Bring your own gear!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kitesurfing

Thanks JJJ...

so too much wind?.. or too unpredictable?

I'm not sure I understand what you meant

Granada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: kitesurfing

To clariy:

YES!! Nicaragua is great for kitesurfing. I live in Granada and frequently go kiting in lake nicaragua. The pacific coast is no good as the wind is offshore, strong & unpredictable.

The wind in the lake is pretty onshore but it is easy enough to get out and the launch/ land area is ideal. Along the west shore of the lake there are loads of good spots which so far as i know have never seen a kiter. I weigh 95kgs and normally use a 9m. I have a 7m on order though as last season i missed a lot sessions as it was just too windy.

Las Salinas in Costa Rica is also great and not far away. From Granada 2.5 hrs by car including the border crossing.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kitesurfing

I'm planning on a surf/kite trip 1-9 Apr between Nicaragua and Costa Rica. I fly into Managua and plan on flying out Liberia. Whats some good books or websights to find info on Kiting and surfing Nicaragua and NW Costa Rica? Or any first hand experience would be helpful. Mahalo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: kitesurfing

I went to Bahia Salinas on the Nicaragua/Costa Rica border March 07. Nice conditions. The shape of the bay keeps the wind from Lake Nicaragua at a nice angle on Playas Copal and Papaturro. Most people are on Playa Copal. There are two hotels run primarily for kitesurfers and windsurfers on the bay. Nicola is the very nice Italian guy who's been there a while and runs one; the other is right on the beach, but I don't know who runs it. Each has a bar/restuarant and offers lessons and equipment. Small kitesurfing community, very little other tourism, although there are a couple small resorts a few miles away. Beach is a little rocky but OK. Very high winds, so need a small kite. Prolonged gusts. Papaturro would be nice if one wanted to get away. It tends to be more sideshore than side-onshore, and so the lessons and beginners are all at Copal, and everybody else seems to follow.

SA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kitesurfing

Hi there, I am travelling the world kiting and writing a book on it at the moment. I have been in Mexico and am on Atitlan in Guatemala at the moment and will be in lake Nicaragua in one week. If anyone is keen to hook up please feel free. My email is ekismike@gmail.com. After lake nicaragua I am heading to Sanjuan del sur to see what I can see.

Cheers, Mike. This is the first and probably the last time I will check this forum so email me if you are keen

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: kitesurfing

let me know when u are in san juan del sur. I would be happy to show you around

SA
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: kitesurfing

Great, will do. My email is ekismike@gmail.com. Can you please drop me a note with your email so I can contact you.

Thanks

Mike