We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

San Jun del Sur TR.

I just returned from my first trip to Nicaragua was fabulous! I have broken the TR into 3 parts and posted the relevant portions under the relevant forums. We began our trip in Little Corn Islands then to San Juan del Sur, ending the trip in Granada.

This is the San Juan del Sur portion. We had no itinerary or plans for our trip after we left Little Corn.

Having made a last minute call to http://www.paxeos.com from the Big Corn airport and as easy as that a driver was waiting for us at the airport in Managua, off we went. It was easy, quick and hassle free. Leaving Managua at around 6:00 PM it took a bit over 2.5 hours to get to San Juan del Sur. We had read on TA some good things about Aventura Lodge but when we got there the neighborhood did not appeal so we just kept looking We ended up at http://www.laposadaazul.com La Posada Azul Hotel. Which was charming, clean A/C pretty pool area, though at nearly $100.00 I thought overpriced. We stayed the next night next door at Casa Romano, a clean, private room with private bath for 20.00 a night.

We walked around town had some drinks, boy is it ever affordable to eat and drink! Had a memorable meal at El Colibri. Hung out at Pelican Eyes Hotel pool for a couple of hours. It is nice though getting to be a bit tired and could benefit from some maintenance like a coat of paint. But the view is great.

My husband wanted to surf for a few days and rather than taking a taxi back and forth we decided to stay at the surf beach. A quick search and we found the Buena Vista Surf Club. We LOVED it. We stayed 3 nights. We would have stayed 4 but they were sold out. As you can see by the reviews we are not alone in thinking this place is fabulous. Marc & Marielle have created a very special place. Breakfast and lunch are served family style. The food is really good. I am still craving the banana nut bread! It was fun, fun fun! We really enjoyed getting to know the other guests. As they only have I think 5 or maybe 6 rooms you get to know all the other guests. Some of the other guests got together to make a fishing trip. I think that sort of thing happens often. Some had rented the Beach House and had everyone over for cocktails before dinner. We really enjoyed that environment. To us meeting other travelers greatly enhances a trip. The rooms are elegant though simple.

My husband and others thought the surfing really great. I cannot surf but loved hanging out at the beach, There is a couple of beach bars, the taco place serves up some amazing fish tacos and cold beers at lunch. Had a friendly waiter that by the next day knew all of our names. I have to say that our time spent at Buena Vista Surf Club was the best time of our trip. ( Followed closely by our stay at Little Corn Beach and Bungalows. Do what we did and do both!)

Marc at BVSC made our car/driver arrangements, since we left early we missed the last breakfast but they were thoughtful enough to pack us a light breakfast to go. Off we went to Granada…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

oops I just reread and realized I said breakfast and lunch, sorry so lunch they serve breakfast and dinner....

ahhh what a great place!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

How much a night a surf club? How far out of town?

Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

Not far out of town, the hostel shuttles run back and forth. It is all pretty easy.

http://www.buenavistasurfclub.com/index.html

Loved it!!

Great Breakfast and Dinners make sure you opt in for the meals. Lunch at the taco stand. Perfect.

Edited: 29 July 2011, 17:37
NY
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

Thanks for the report. Any other places to stay at Playa Maderas if that is filled up? Or is it better to just hop on the shuttle each day. Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

This is probably too late an answer but there was Dream Catcher

http://www.thedreamcatcherhouse.com it was further away from the beach. Folks liked it but from the talk around Buena Vista is considered nicer more upscale One thing though BVSC does not allow children, a plus for us but maybe not for all.

I for one would not want to shuttle back and forth. I guess it all depends on what you are wanting.

Erin, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

Hello, We are in the process of renting a villa on Playa Marcella in Feb. for 2 weeks. My son surfs and I was wondering how much grief it is to get to Playa Madeiras from there. It is 1.5 kms from the villa. Also do you need to rent a car there or are taxis affordable. Thanks for any info.

Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

BVSC is good if you have a moderate budget, and over the age of 35 (i'd say). they're not really in to the party atmosphere much, do lots of yoga, and go to bed pretty early. Nice place to stay, but definitely on the $$$ side of things compared to other options around Maderas.

Dreamcatcher house is right behind BVSC and def caters to a more younger audience. i'd say 20-35. it's also much cheaper, and the food was also really amazing. good group of people running the place that will also take care of all your travel arrangements for you.

if you're on a real budget, you can stay at the hostel right on the beach as well (if theres any room). theres also Matildas further north down the beach that is very cheap.

San Juan Del Sur
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

We cater mostly to 25-40. Little more upscale and less back pack vibe compared to Dreamcatcher, who have a younger audience and more of a backpack party scene. Both cool spots and it just depends what you're looking for.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

Call us next time

10. Re: San Juan del Sur Trip Report / Buena Vista Surf Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur