We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Have a house rented in San Juan Del Sur in Jan. Have been checking airfare. Flying into Liberia, Costa Rica is $370 less per person! How far is the drive from Liberia airport to SJDS? Even if there are holdups at customs ,it might be worth it. Do companies drive from that airport to SJDS? if so, which ones? Thanks

37 replies to this topic
Dawson City, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Bruce; Thanks for the info. I see you are from Edmonton. I plan on flying out of Edmonton or Grande Prairie (I'm fron Dawsin Creek). My plan is going to SJDS Nica. I went to Nica last year via Manuaga but wanted to try via Costa Rica this time. The trip to Managua was kind of expensive. What do you suggest, is it a bettter route to go to Liberia than Managua? Better fights (stopovers), better prices, etc? My wife and two teens may follow a few weeks later once I find a nice place to stay (I'm going with my backpack). They will travel by themselves and meet up with me, and I wanted to give them the best route also. Any suggestions from fellow travellers would be much appreciated. thanks

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

what did pople pay for this type of service, we are thinking of flying into Liberia as it is so much cheaper, but with 2 kids I really want it to be easy and not take bus and deal with border without a driver-we are also going to San Juan del Sur-thanks!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

I go to SJDS several times a year but have yet to fly into Liberia.....one day I will, but for now, I fly into Managua and hire a driver to take us down there. If you are looking for a great condo to stay in SJDS - kid friendly and safe, let me know. It is walking distance to town, has a great pool and is on the beach.

Avon Park, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Edited: 27 November 2013, 15:47
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

I used Macau recently, going the opposite direction, from SJDS all the way to Arenal. At first I was thinking the price for the border crossing was high, and I wanted to try to do it myself. After experiencing it, I am so glad we paid Edwin to guide us, and we didn't try it alone. I've traveled a lot and speak a decent amount of Spanish, but the border crossing there is just odd and confusing. I have no doubt it would have taken a very long time and I would have paid too much to someone if I had tried to do it on my own. The cost may seem high, but it's definitely worth hiring a company to guide you through. Saving that much per person on the flight will make it worthwhile, you should only have to pay a flat fee per car, not per person.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Your pricing… is that $7 taxi to the boarder from LIB + another $7 taxi to SJDS and then the tip (2-3) and the $1 departing tax?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

saw your post ... we are looking to stay in SJDS, two 60+ retired couples. Would like a 2 Bed/2 bath place close to the beach, or on it. Any suggestions for us? We are hoping to get a place for $75.00 CAD/NT or less.

Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Very interested in the condo!

Saginaw, Michigan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Is there a way to arrange a taxi before I leave for my trip or do I have to wait until I get to the airport in Liberia?

Saginaw, Michigan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

How much did they charge?

Reply to: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur