We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
438 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

Wondering if people can weigh in on how punctual Costena Airlines is (at least as much as most airlines are).

I'd like to book the 7:45am flight from Corn Island to Managua which is supposed to arrive at 9am in Managua. The scheduled shuttle to SJDS is at 10am and am wondering if I have any chance of making that shuttle at all based on Costenas "on time" record.

Advice greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

Punctuality, ha! They don't even have a CLOCK in the Corn Island airport. Seriously. You never know though, so don't be late.

Another word of warning: if the plane is over-loaded, they'll leave your luggage behind and send it on the next flight - maybe later that day, maybe the next day. It happened to my wife and I. They just kinda shrugged, like, "eh, it'll get here when it gets here."

With that in mind, bring anything you really need in your carry-on. Including your bathing suit. Those are in surprisingly short supply in shops on Corn Island.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

Yeah, when I flew La Costena they wouldn't even give us a takeoff time. Also, what the other poster mentioned about your luggage getting delayed can happen to passengers too. There was too much weight scheduled on our flight, so two of the guys in our group had to sit out until the next flight (although their bags still came with us). They didn't even know when the next flight would be at first, but they ended up being about 3 hours behind our original flight. You have to roll with the punches when flying with them, for sure.

(This was between MGA and Siuna, by the way, not the Corn Islands, but I imagine they operate in the same way everywhere.)

Edited: 14 May 2012, 07:33
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

You take your chances.

When I was waiting at Corn Island's little airport, the howling wind was bending the palm trees right over and kept blowing open the door to the departure lounge. In those conditions I was surprised the plane even showed up at ALL, and that I voluntarily got on it when it finally did.

That was November though.

Advice? Try to not be too tightly scheduled when using small planes or small boats.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
732 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

I am in Big Corn right now. On my flight over (I took the afternoon flight) there were a lot of people checking in 1.5 hours early (per their suggestion). Their big 46 seater plane is out for maintenance. Instead, they are flighing their 14 seater planes. They flew several planes. My plane left second and went directly to Corn Island, not stopping in Bluefields. The first plane did stop at Bluefields and arrived after us. Our luggage was on the other flight, so there was an hour wait for luggage.

I would schedule the later shuttle to SJDS. If for some reason you make it in time for the 10am shuttle, find the driver and ask if he has room.

FYI I booked the 1:15pm shuttle but we left at Noon since all of us were there by that time.

It all works out in the end. Enjoy! Gela

5. Re: Costena Airlines - Corn Island to MGA - Punctuality?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:17