We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Managua

New York City
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Managua

What is the best way to travel from Managua to San Juan Del Sur?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Managua

Private shuttle, the local "chicken" bus system is pretty good (although a bit overcrowded at times) Tica and Nica bus, car rental. In fact there are many ways to go. Even your hotel can arrange a private driver if you wish. If you can offer a budget and itinerary, perhaps a better answer based on your needs can be provided. Have a safe holiday.

New York City
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Managua

Thank you, we were trying to stay within a budget of $50 each way. I contacted Adelante and they are $73 each way and Nica roads is $85 each way.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Managua

Try connecting with Tica Bus, as they go from Managua with a Rivas stop, then a $20US taxi ride (for 2-3, and approximate, you can deal) to SJDS http://www.ticabus.com/ingles.html

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Managua

As Cajon Travel said the best way will be in a private transportation but if you want to stay in a budget this is what you going to do, get an airport cab and tell them to drop you at Roberto huembes bus station which is a market too from there the express busses departure to Rivas every hour $3 dollars per person the taxy can charge you about 15 to 20 dollars ask for Jaime he speak english and explain him that you want to go to ROBERTO HUEMBES market to get the express busses to Rivas, When you get to Rivas get a taxy to SJDS $15 to $20 dollars for a private car $5 for a shared one.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Managua

Well said Byron, the express bus I had forgotten, and the quickest and cost efficient way to go. And remember the price he quoted for the taxi to SJDS Amy, a few "entrepreneurs" may try to hit you up for more. Lastly, do this trip during daylight hours only. Have a safe trip.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Managua

Right on the spot. the best way for this will be during day, this busses don´t run at night time and as soon as you get to the bus station in Managua get your luggage store and wait inside the bus. if you coming at night get a shuttle to SJDS check with this one too http://www.iskratravel.com/index.html

Portsmouth, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Managua

I've been to SJDS 7 times now. I have driven from Managua and been fine. I have driven from Managua and been stopped 4 times, paying National Police the $20 "toll" 3 times. And I have taken the shuttles. Unless you are comfortable in these environs and can speak some Spanish, I would suggest a shuttle. I have heard good thing about Iskatravel, but I know Adelante is great. On time, reliable, reasonable w/ nice vehicles. A bad travel experience will make you forget the few dollars you might save taking the chicken buses and taxi's. That's just my 2 cents.

8. Re: Transportation from Managua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:17