We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

Does anyone know where to rent a car near San Juan del Sur? Or do we really need one? We're going in December and want to see Isle Ometepe, Laguna de Apoyo and many beaches. It sounds like there are buses that go all over but are they easy to catch and know schedules? Any info will help.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

If you chose to rent you would need to do it in Managua. How are you getting to SJDS anyway? If you're staying right in downtown SJDS you can catch water taxis to all of the beaches nearby and regular taxi is extremely inexpensive. To get to Ometepe you have to take the ferry from San Jorge so you would need to get there somehow. We stay at Villas de Palermo so we always rent in Managua because it is a couple of miles out of town. Buses are only for the very patient and carefree individual. They are often packed to the gills, some hanging out the back, etc. and may include livestock!

Athens, GA / San...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

I'm looking for the same thing.

I just got back and was in SJDS the day that the DUNE BUGGY rental place opened. These are small and not for the faint at heart, but for $30-$40 a day these will get you a friend and 2 surfboards to just about anywhere within and hour or so. I wouldn't take them out to the highways though.

I sure would like to find a rental co. IN sjds too though. The person who posted before me is correct with all other points.

it's ashame, but someone could probably do fairly well starting a rental co. there.

cheers, and fun travels. what a terrific place to be.

Carrollton, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

This is probably late, but just in case anyone is reading this post later - Alamo rental car has an office in SJdS - I have been there and rented from them (the office is in one of the hotels across the road from the beach near the south end of the road)

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

Again for those reading this later -- the Alamo office is in the CasaBlanca hotel

5. Re: Car rental near San Juan del Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur