We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Hi

Have anniversary 22yrs on 14th and a wedding to attend next day. Quite worried that there is nowhere nice to stay in Ilkley.

Surely this isn't true..there must be somewhere.

Usually stop 4-5* type accommadation style. Hope this does not sound 'snobby' but I just like nice places!

can anyone help please?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Hi

Does it have to be Ilkley itself? Or surrounding area? Wil you have a car?

Let me know as there are lots of beautiful places in the Dales and surrounding area.

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

You could stay at the Devonshire Arms - is the wedding really in Ilkley or at Bolton Abbey - which is on the Devonshire Estate. There's a fitness club across the road. Sheep all around and a lovely walk to the River Wharfe.

Craiglands is the biggest hotel in Ilkley - the internet access was a phone jack in the hall last time we went - 2005 - its a big wedding reception hotel.

I actually like the little hotel by the river - about 30 years ago it had a reputation for hooligans - but I stayed there last year and the proprietor assured me they'd all gone and we had a very quiet and pleasant stay there - its not your 5-star - but its clean and comfy with coffee in your room. There was an older clientele in the bar and all was quite civilized! Check out the Riverside Hotel. You'll meet real locals and have a Yorkshire experience there. The public swimming pool which is not that great is not too far away across the river - and you can watch the local cricket there.

http://www.infotel.co.uk/14694.htm

You can take a walk alongside the river and see an old Pack Horse bridge - its also not far from the Parish Church and the Olicana (Roman name for Ilkley) little folk museum.

If you want something convenient to Leeds and Bradford Airport try the Chevin Lodge near Yeadon - its in the woods and the lakes were made in the war - I can't remember if bombs were tested in them - but there's a story there. It has wooden, modern huts that are quiet.

Rombalds Hotel is OK - also a Best Western now - and close to the moors - you can hike up to the White Wells for your morning fresh air or the tarn or the Cow and Calf!

I wouldn't recommend the Crescent unless you want to be on a busy corner in the middle of the town's busiest junction.

As another writer says - there are many places up the Dales - Heddon has a good pub for eating. Buck Inn in Wharfedale, etc.

Of course if you don't want a local Yorkshire feeling and want to be in a 4-5 star hotel that could be anywhere in the world then stay in the middle of Leeds and take the train to Ilkley, There's the Queens Hotel right next to the railway station - the old railway hotel. Its been renovated over the years and you can shop at Harvey Nichols in Leeds and go to the many Starbucks!

In Bramhope there's the Post House - its got a pool.

You could stay at an old Spa Hotel in Harrogate and taste the sulphur waters (behind the pump house there is a tap).

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

thankyou for your note, I have stayed in the queens, on business, so it wont be the same, I don't fancy staying in leeds.

The wedding is at St Marys church in Burley-in-Wharfedale.

The 'yorkshire theme' does sound fab, I don't need 4 &5* faciilities, just a nice standard of accommadation.

I will ponder on your recommendations.

Thanks a lot

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Sorry this might be too late, but for other readers:

Craiglands Hotel in Cowpasture Road has just been renovated

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

post House at Bramhope is now called the Hilton

Ilkley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Have you tried the Crescent in Ilkley? We often eat there for lunch, but have not experienced the rooms though!!!!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

I live in Otley. Ilkley generally more expensive than Otley

Try the Chevin Lodge at Otley. Hotel and log cabin style accomodation in woodland. Near Leeds & Bradford airport. They do weeken deals or midweek deals. Have a look in the Sunday Post, they advertise there.

Also B&B accomodation behind the Chevin inn is very nice.

Try the Yeoman pub in Otley for B&B. Refurbished rooms and three NEW en-suite rooms

There is B&B in the pubs in the centre of Otley: Black Horse, Three Horse Shoes; but they are generally noisy.....I wouldn't recommend

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Would suggest Rombalds in Ilkley or Chevin Lodge near Otley.

Other idea would be to look at 5 Star B and Bs on Yorkshire Tourist Board website-I am sure there will be some in generic area.

Liverpool
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Hi, the Cow and Calf in Ilkley is a lovely, clean hotel and has great atmosphere. We stay in Ikley quite often and can't always get a room there as it is very popular. We stay in the Riverside if we can't get the Cow and Calf. I hope this helps. Jan.

Liverpool
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One wedding and an anniversary in Ilkley

Hi, the Cow and Calf in Ilkley is a lovely place to stay, clean, cosy and a great atmosphere. We often stay in Ilkley but can't always get a room there as it is very popular. Our second choice would be the Riverside Hotel. Hope this helps, Jan.

Get answers to your questions about Ilkley
Recent Conversations
More Ilkley Topics