We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Which Amesbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Circle Access Sold out - Options?

I waited too long and can not get circle access for the dates I wanted. Does anyone know of tour companies who buy up these passes and make them available as part of a larger tour?

10 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Where are you starting from ?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

What dates? What time of year?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

This web page may help you a little:

visit-stonehenge.org/2010/12/stonehenge-spec…

P-t-B

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

August. I was planning on making this part of a multi day from London to Cardiff and back, but since I can't get tickets directly I will have to go with a tour and separate this from the Cardiff trip. Thanks Phil for the listing of tour companies who seem to have availability.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

I know special access gets booked up months ahead, but 9 months? That's ridiculous. Makes me think it's the big coach companies who have snapped those up anyway.

I had some for January which I can no longer do, and easily swapped them for dates in March.

An alternative (assuming you have a car) is to visit Avebury, which would fit in well with a Cardiff to London journey.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Hi there

Yes, agree with Gilligan here, Stonehenge is somewhat out of the way if you're travelling from London to Cardiff and would involve a lot of extra mileage. If you leave London on the M4 motorway and exit at junction 15, head down the A346 to Marlborough which itself is a very interesting and historic town, then head west along the old A4 route to Beckhampton roundabout ( this goes right past Silbury Hill & West Kennet Long Barrow), then take the Swindon road, it's just a mile to Avebury.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Another vote here for visiting Avebury instead.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
301 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

You could try English Heritage, they're currently taking bookings for April to September next year.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Personally I'd go to Avebury instead and visit Stonehenge another year when all the work is completed. See here for info on what's going on at the site. english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Do visit Avebury and the rings. For me the whole area around the stones is far more magical. You can walk around them, hug them and soak up the atmosphere much better. Then of course go and have a bite to eat in the local village pub. If you can try and include a visit to Salisbury Cathedral. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Circle Access Sold out - Options?

Special access at Stonehenge is only offered outside of normal hours. In August, that means 6:15 am, or 7:30 am, or 7:30 pm. Keep in mind it takes at least two hours to reach Stonehenge from London, and another 2 hours to Cardiff from Stonehenge (although that is fairly optimistic).

Neither of these is very conducive to traveling between London and Cardiff.

We always save Stonehenge for visiting friends, because they always want to go. A few years back we had friends who insisted they wanted to do the special access. In the end they couldn't get tickets, but we went during normal hours, had a fine time, and also paid a visit to Avebury.

In terms of a multi-day trip from London to Cardiff, that may suit your schedule better.

Reply to: Circle Access Sold out - Options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted