We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amesbury to Stonehenge

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amesbury to Stonehenge

I plan to stay at Amesbury travelodge for 1 night in August to visit Stonehenge. Is it possible to walk from the town Amesbury to travelodge (on Countess Services) and also to walk from travelodge to Stonehenge? As I don't plan to drive, I could only rely on walking (distance is said to be 1 to 2 miles for both trips) or public transport. Thanking you in advance.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

Amesbury to Countess services isn't too bad. Just follow the road out of town, you'll have a bit of difficulty at the roundabout but the junction is now light controlled so it's not as hard as it used to be. From there it's an uneasy, lumpy and slightly dangerous walk along the edge of a dual carriage way for just over a mile to Stonehenge. Better to go back into Amesbury and follow the old road towards the site for a bit but you'll then have to find a way of crossing the A303, hopefully not when it's very very busy.

Personally, I'd take a taxi and book another one when you've finished at Stonehenge.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 15:55
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

Just to add that there is no public transport that can help you with this journey - sorry.

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 13 April 2013, 22:34
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

Agree about taxi.

Just driven along the A303 today and it is not a place for walking - there is no pathway.

It was so wet and misty today that you would be lucky to see much at all.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

From Amesbury town centre to the Travelodge takes about 15 minutes at an unhurried walking pace. There are pavements to within a few yards of the Travelodge site. It is necessary to cross the busy A303 dual carriage road, but there is a pedestrian underpass for this. A mostly urban environment.

If you are Ok with walking on country footpaths and tracks, one can get from the Travelodge to Stonehenge on these, quietly, without traffic hassle. The track starts about 300 yards north from the Travelodge This route would be about 1.5 to 2 miles. In summer it's usually dry, but if it has rained, walking boots might be useful, particularly across the grassy fields.

I live near the Travelodge, and make this walk quite often.

I also have happy memories of Adelaide!

PG

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

Hi Peter,

So nice to hear that you've also been to Adelaide - as most people would just know about Melbourne or Sydney!

Thank you for this advice from an Amesbury local! "A mostly urban environment" of the Travelodge is indeed comforting. : ) Would you say that the walking track to Stonehenge is readily identifiable by a non-local like me, and is well known to other locals so I can ask any of them in case I have difficulty to locate it? For example, are there any signposts etc? Does the walk involve crossing the busy A303 carriageway to reach Stoneghenge, as suggested by henneth and others (if walking along the A303), although I guess the walking track should be on the same side as Stonehenge?

Cheers,

Maddy314

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

In case anyone else is reading this and wondering where the Travelodge is located, it is at the service area at the junction of the A303 and the A345 and NOT where is shows it on Google Maps further eastwards.

Re footpaths to Amesbury, if you look at the Google Satelite view and zoom in close enough, you can see that there is a path that takes you from the A345 road (Countess Road) by the service area, through two pedestrian subways under the A303, slightly to the east of the roundabout. You do not need to cross at the traffic lights.

I think that the footpath towards Stonehenge across the fields referred to by Peter in post 4 is shown as a red dotted line on this map: streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.srf… . This would only involve you crossing the A345 road just north of Countess Services which should be OK.

P-t-B (who has also been to Adelaide !)

Edited: 14 April 2013, 12:39
Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

Thanks, P-t-B. It is indeed heartening to hear so many of you have been to Adelaide. I think Adelaide is such a lovely, quiet city to live. I also would like to thank all the other friends who have taken the time and good-will to reply my query!

I have had a good look at the google satellite map and can see the underpass below the roundabout. I am not so sure about being able to find the walking track, perhaps it is not so readily recognisable from the satellite map. I am hoping Peter or other TA members could give more clues on it.

M314

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

I am sure that a taxi from the Travelodge to Stonehenge would not be more than a few pounds - so unless you like walking along field tracks (on your own?), possibly getting cold and wet, then that would certainly be my choice!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

The walks on Stonehenge Down have been updated fairly recently and not all are shown on readily available maps. I could draw the relevant walks on a map but, unfortunately I don't know how to attach it to one of these messages. It not even be possible. Meanwhile, I've found the Google map on the link below. Hopefully it will work but it looks as though the link will need cutting and pasting because there doesn't seem to be any hyperlink element visible. I hope it works. (It did when I tested the published message!)

maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

If it does work, and you can see the blue walking routes, the northerly one would be the most appropriate for outbound from the Travelodge. If you zoom in enough you'll see the Travelodge in the NE corner of the big Countess roundabout. You can also get the relationship of distance from the town.

If you wanted to make a circular walk you will see there are other southerly routes. With these it would be necessary to cross the A303. There is a pedestrian paved footpath to Amesbury from Stonehenge down to the fork in the roads and, having crossed the A303, there is another paved footpath to the town. The tricky bit is crossing the A303. If you are restricted in time, perhaps just stay with the northerly route.

The countryside is open and friendly, and there are others walking as well. We could always arrange a guided tour!

Unfortunately the Google map doesn't give much or any info on things to see whilst walking. The National Trust, which owns the land (Stonehenge Down), might have some info on that?

In Adelaide we stayed at Glenelg, with rellies. There are more on the other side, also at Ceduna.

Hope all this is useful!

Cheers, Peter

Edited: 14 April 2013, 17:33
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
305 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amesbury to Stonehenge

I've been to Adelaide too (and Glenelg!) - my 2 sisters both used to live there. One's now in the Clare Valley and the other in Albany, I have been to both. ;-)

There's an Amesbury to Stonehenge walk her: guardian.co.uk/travel/…walk-guides-stonehenge

I'm a member of Walking World and they have a walk on there - I think you can buy individual walks, so have a look: …walkingworld.com/Walk/Amesbury---Stonehenge…