We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Sadly, the Devizes TIC closes tomorrow. There will be Tourist Information Points around the town and B&B owners are working with each other to provide accommodation availability information for visitors. It won't be the same, but it's something. I would urge people who are planning a visit to try to sort out their accommodation in advance if at all possible.

17 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

That's sad news.

When I lived in Bath and Chippenham for 8 years I often used to visit Devizes.

In fact, one weekend I was bored so caught the bus from Chippenham to Devizes to cheer me up.

Devizes is a great little town and needs a TIC.

But, saying that, you wouldn't believe that they are also closing the main TIC in Liverpool - the "O8 Place" on Whitechapel - and transferring all operations to the tiny TIC down at Albert Dock!

"Save our TIC's!" ;-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,979 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

So, where does the money come from to run TICs? Council taxpayers, central government, or...?

Presumably, local councils have decided they are not a priority, and like so much else, the service can be provided for free by well-meaning volunteers such as those on Trip Advisor!

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Something like that! Visit Wiltshire have been given more funding by the council, to promote the county. TICs provide a more varied service than that, catering too for locals who need information, such as bus timetables, info on other areas, gifts etc. It's short-sighted, I think. Not everyone wants to rely on computers, not everyone wants to plan everything in advance.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Our local TIC closed down a few months ago. It was supposed to re-open at a different site - in the Local Council Offices, as it happens. This has now been veoted so we are 'without' possibly forever.

I am qute upset as this was a good source of information not only for my vicinity, but also had brocures to visit other parts of the country, theatre information for London, and all sorts of other stuff. A great loss, but seems to be happening all over the country at present. Once we are back 'in funds' in the UK (when will that be??) then MAYbe the situation will change.

I live in hope but I 'expect the worst'!

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

I suspect that TICs that have closed are unlikely to come back, at least in their present form. Once something has gone, it's harder to start it up again. Having said that, there are lots of community shops springing up in our villages and that would have seemed unlikely years ago, so you never know.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Here's some explanatory info - hopefully visitors and residents will be able to get the info they need.

gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/…

Devizes
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

The Devizes Area Tourism Partnership has now been formed to welcome visitors to the local area - see

devizes.org.uk/visiting/tourism/devizes-visi…

for more infomation.

The page includes telephone numbers for general enquiries, and also for people trying to find somewhere to stay!

Edited: 05 October 2011, 21:56
Essex
Level Contributor
28,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Hurrah for the "can-do optimisim"!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

That's great news, let's hope it all woks out well, as the "old" TIC was very well run and offered so much help to visitors.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September

Eek, GB's changed sex!

Reply to: Devizes Tourist information Centre closing on 30th September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Devizes