We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devizes Museum avoids closure

Which Devizes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Devizes Museum avoids closure

We are so fortunate to have here in Devizes, the UKs foremost collection of ancient artefacts dating back to pre-Neolithic times, from the countless sites in and around the county. The museum was due to close permanently due to lack of funding to the charity that operates it, who are of course, as cash strapped as anyone else right now.

The wonderful news is that yesterday, the museum was successful in receiving a grant from the National Lottery fund for almost £400,000 which not only ensures the future of our lovely museum, but means that an extra room can be added to house the ever-growing displays.

So, a big thanks to anyone who buys a lottery ticket, as you have directly saved our museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devizes_Museum

Edited: 04 April 2012, 17:29
6 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

I haven't been to Devizes for about 6 years. And all I did when I was there was drink 6X in several pubs and I checked out Caen Hill Locks; and I also bought a marrow from the indoor market. ;-D

I'll have to check out the museum next time I'm down that way.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

Hi Matt

Several pubs have closed since your last trip, same as in most other towns. A couple are now antique shops ( The Elm Tree and the Royal Oak) and a couple more are just sat there waiting for a buyer. The main culprit is our newish Wetherspoons which opened three years ago and delights in selling 6X at two quid a pint when the Waddies pubs in town want three quid plus. The competition is really hurting Waddies who as a brewery, seem not to care very much, and would rather leave their tied houses empty than assist landlords with lower rents and better buying prices for their ales.

If you do enjoy history, then as well as the museum, I'd recommend you walk the town trail which takes in all the important historic aspects of Devizes. And we now have the new 250 boat marina at Foxhangers, by the bottom of the flight.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

I'm actually coming down to Bath and Bristol this weekend to visit friends but we have already made plans.

But I reckon next time I come down in the summer a day trip to Devizes is in order and the weather should be better then anyway; plus it also depends if I can can convince my friends wife that driving from Bristol to Devizes is safe (she passed her driving test last year but the furthest she has venutured in her car is down the A4 to Bath!)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

Well Matt, if she can get to Bath alright, then it's not that much farther to Devizes, and she can go via Bradford-on-Avon and Melksham which is an easy drive on relatively quiet roads

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

I stayed in Devizes recently and made a point of visiting the Museum. I was quite amazed at how comprehensive it is in detailing the history of the area, with excellent displays of information and objects. Having worked in museums myself I must congratulate Devizes Museum on its work and am extremely glad to hear that it is surviving and expanding.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devizes Museum avoids closure

Hi GaraBa

It's good to know that you enjoyed the museum here, I hope you liked all the town has to offer as well.

Reply to: Devizes Museum avoids closure
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Devizes