We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barnsley chop

Which Barnsley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Barnsley chop

Last time we were in the UK, at a pub in Cheddar my sister had Barnsley chop and it was absolutely delicious. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barnsley chop

A Barnsley chop is just a double lamp chop taken right across the animal - so two "normal" chops back to back, as it were

There's no particular recipe in terms of what sauce it ought to come with. If it was delicious it was probably down to the quality of the meat and the skill of the chef, rather than any recipe to make it so!

It is a hard cut to come by, in the UK you have to go to a butchers and ask for it generally

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barnsley chop

Are they legal these days - most cuts involving the spinal column were banned after the BSE scare

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barnsley chop

Did BSE not just affect cows?

Anyway, it must have been eradicated by now, and our food perfectly safe, given the millions that were thrown at the problem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barnsley chop

I'm not and never have been worried about eating British meat (be it beef, pork, lamb); some of the best meat I've ever eaten has been British and my mouth waters just thinking about it :-) I also remember having a fantastic rib eye steak at the Atholl Arms in Blair Athol .... on a slice of haggis ...it was perfect and so tender - the knife went through it like it was butter :-)

The Barnsley chop was two chops joined together (2 lamb loin chops) and it seemed liked they'd been grilled and then simmered in the most divine gravy. The lamb flavour was so wonderful and the meat so tender it beggared belief. I think we'll have to go back to Cheddar on our next trip in the hope it'll still be on the menu :-)

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barnsley chop

Most British butchers will know what a Barnsley chop is, even if it isn't labelled as such on their counter. It's just a chop taken right across the sheep's loin - a cut rather than a recipe.

You could, of course, travel to Barnsley market to get one.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barnsley chop

My local Sainsburys in Kent do them, not that difficult to find. Labled as Barnsley Chops too!

Edited: 26 August 2010, 20:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barnsley chop

We're spending a week in Kent on our next trip and we always stay in self-catering cottages so we can cook for ourselves, so we'll be on the lookout for Barnsley chops in Sainsburys - thanks for the head's up :-)

Barnsley, United...
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barnsley chop

A Barnsley Chop is a lamb chop taken from right across the loin which becomes a double sided chop. It is sometimes referred to as a saddle chop as it is cut across the saddle producing a double loin chop with a little under fillet all in one.

beatsonhouse.co.uk/menu/the-barnsley-chop/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barnsley chop

Ooooh, I just read the menus on the Beatson restaurant website and I'm thinking a drive there (from Grasmere, where we'll be staying for our first week, or from Chester, where we'll be for our second week) will be well worth it. Maybe the drive from Chester will be the better choice - my cousin lives in Christleton and her son has moved to York and they tell me it's only about 1.5 hours' drive - not far at all, really :-)

The restaurant's prices are very reasonable too.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barnsley chop

I remember the Barnsley Chop in its early days-local butcher Albert Hirst-who was world champion black pudding maker-and popularised on menus by the original Brooklands Restaurant-people used to drive miles for them.

Get answers to your questions about Barnsley
Recent Conversations