We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wembley and the Stadium

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Wembley and the Stadium

I just wanted to post a thread that may be useful for first time wembley visitors.

I have just got back from going to watch the wembley cup which was mine and my boyfriends first time to wembley stadium.

I just want to warn people that the area is very rundown depsite the presence of the new stadium and there is very little there in regards to pubs and restaurants, we also found some of the local proprietors were quite hostile for unknown reasons turning you away making out to be closed when they are blatantly not.

The tube stops tend to be a long walk away from the hotels, being in zone 4 makes travelling in and out of central london expensive! Line maintenance on a few of the lines made life an absolute pain as they closed wembley park tube station altogether during the wembley cup.

The stadium is a rip off! £4 for a bottle of carlsberg poured into a plaggy glass that ends with it having a big frothy head on it and that's if you managed to get served before the half time ended and the shutters went down! Shoddy looking over priced food, rude arrogant staff acting like meatheads for no reason, they started trying to herd all of us supporters out like cattle after the game when they could see people were waiting for family, friends and partners to come out of the toilets - I had to refuse to move as my boyfriend did not have his mobile phone on him and he wouldn't have found me and I would have been a woman alone and vulnerable.

The seats in the stadium very quickly get too high and too far away from the action plus they stupidly made the celtic players climb into some little recess in the stands the celtic supporters were in thus meaning that none of us could actually see the cup being presented!! There we are in the stadium yet we have to watch the presentation on the flippin telly!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

I went to the last night of the Take That tour at wembley afew weeks ago. I stayed at The Quality Hotel which was handy for the stadium. The Plaza and Ibis hotels were even closer. Also the wembley stadium tube/train station was very handy too and we didn't have to wait long to get back into central london, the next morning. The food and drinks were very nice too, the Nachos are a MUST!

This was my experience and I had a GREAT night at wembley. Enjoy and have fun.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

Hi Jools I agree, the area is the complete pits. It's a real missed opportunity to show visitors one of the focal points of London.

I stayed at the IBIS last time I was there and even though it's virtually at the foot of the stadium it was so dire that I will never stay there again. Apart from the footie I wont be visiting Wembley again soon, I'd much rather go to the O2

Suzie

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

Hi Suzie

I have found out today from workmates who stay at wembley alot that there are black establishments and whote establishments and apparently that may have ben why we were turned away from places - it is scary if things are that bad there!

Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

We also went to the Wembley Cup and whilst impressed with the stadium we were less happy with the general organization and resultant atmosphere.

We also hated the nanny state attitude to alcohol.

I'm sure that more damage could have been done by the scalding hot coffee allowed in the stadium than the extortionate beer which was far too precious for even the hardest of thugs to part with. Who thinks that 57,000 can be served food and drink from 2 bar areas in 15 minutes?

In contrast we went to Her Majesty's Theatre to see Phantom on the Saturday. We were treated like proper grown ups and allowed to take our drinks into the auditorium if we hadn't finished them before both the first and second half.

No harm came to anyone and the atmosphere was bouyant.

I expect that all those in corporate hospitality suites were treated to all day refreshments without any restrictions at Wembley.

I fear this is the way of all sporting events which are treating everyone as being incapable of self regulation.

SHAME ON YOU WEMBLEY!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your Wembley experience.

I wouldnt think for one minute you were turned away from some establishments because of the colour of your skin though. Its far more likely to have been because of the colour of your shirts.

On match days most, if not all, local pubs and establishments that serve alcohol operate a segregation policy for fans of opposing teams. This is often dictated by the Met Police. Most times of course there will only be 2 sets of supporters, but for this event there were 4 sets from opposing teams, therefore the segregation would have been more widespread.

As for drinking inside the Stadium, I cant comment on the amount of bars open but I wouldnt buy the overpriced muck they serve inside anyway. That said the law specifically bans the drinking of alcohol in areas where you can view the pitch, ie: seats etc, at football matches.That doesnt just apply to Wembley, it applies to grounds at all levels, right down to non league football. If its a Uefa game alcohol is banned full stop, anywhere in the stadium.

A pain I know, but dont shoot the messenger!

Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

Cheers for the info obviously a long time since we have been to a live game.

I still think its a sad indictment in the game that we feel the need to restrict all the people all the time instead of weeding out the real problems.

That being said we did enjoy the football.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

We were confused because we made sure never to wear a celtic shirt all the time we were down there just in case.

Great atmosphere in the stadium for the celtic v spurs game though also went to camden market, hyde park and harrods - loved every minute of it :-)

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

Shazplatt, the bar situation was a farce - also I was annoyed that in the small print were you can't find it, it tells you you cannot leave the stadium once you are in or you will be refused re-entry!!! we orignally wanted to watch barcelona on the friday bit was refused back again - glad the celtic game was first or we would have missed what we went down for!

This also meant that people couldn't go out to smoke at half time etc so the toilets were full of people smoking - my boyfirend said the gents loos was j ust a thick cloud of smoke - this creates risk of a fire breaking out should anyone carelessly stub out a cig!

The stadium staff seem very rude and money grabbing and seem to be forgetting who pays their wages at the end of the day.

Stupid place to put a stadium when there is nothing in the area for anybody staying there!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

> Stupid place to put a stadium when there is nothing in the area for anybody staying there! <

Stupid to have a new national stadium in the first place. I was much happier when the England games rotated around the large club stadia. We could have subbed each of those a few million to extend their facilities, and have had 10 world class show-case stadia.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wembley and the Stadium

It is my impression that when there enquiries about accommodation, etc from people who are attending events at Wembley on this Forum, they are recommended to look neare into central London.