We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hayle- 1st week July

Ireland, Indiana
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hayle- 1st week July

Staying in a self catering apt 1st week July Hayle. Have an elderly person with us - any ideas as to easy trips - all like gardens, galleries etc. recommendations for eating would be great - one coeliac with us.

14 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/index2.htm

If you have a car you could also go to the Eden Project, where I know you will find gluten free options in the cafes

http://www.edenproject.com/

Not far from Eden

http://www.heligan.com/

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Hi I would reccomend a trip to Falmouth its about half hour drive away- has a good mix of shops and plenty of restaurants to suit all tastes. The main walk through is flat. Things to see in the area are: Pendennis Castle or take the ferry to St.Mawes Castle. ,NT gardens Glendurgan just outside of the town (lovely walk down to beach too) also next door is Trebah Gardens both have own websites. City of Truro Is about 13 miles away. Eden is well worth visiting but it will be a good hours drive. Hope this helps Caz

Stafford
Level Contributor
29 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Firstly I recommend heading over to the East coast to visit some of the fab National Trust sites especially Glendurgan Gardens which leads out onto a beautiful little beach, nearby Falmouth is definitely worth a visit; St Michaels Mount is also a great visit and has lovely tropical gardens but it may not be suitable for an elderley visitor, but check the website. We always stay in St Ives which only 10 minutes from Hayle which offers lovely beaches, quaint cafes and shops; we've visited Paradise Park and its a good day out for all the family, and not too big so should suit an elderly visitor. If you have children with you head to Country Skittles which is just outside Hayle and has loads of games/activites to entertain you whilst you have a meal, I recommend the sizlling steak skillet!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

In Hayle we visited a fantastic eat-in Indian with lots of Vegetarian options, but I'm not sure about gluten0free options, I can't really remember. Lanhydrock House and Gardens is another must-do National Trust site which is well worth the drive, although the walk to the house and gardens is quite long, but they do offer gold buggy rides there for 50p per adult and 25p per child. Whatever you do, have a great time!

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Hiya to all you local hayle residents!

We are visiting the area ( strawbery Hill cottage on The tolroy manor site) for 3 weeks. I know nearby Helston county well; and has nice shops and good Tesco's, etc but we are looking for the closest reasonable priced supermarket to HAYLE - either an Asdas or Tesco's closest to hayle please? Any answers would be greatfully appreciated.

Also good cafes Inns tea rooms fish & chip shops restaurants all day breakfasts etc etc closest to Tolroy Manor near Hayle that actually serve decent food but are not too expensive please? Thanks!

Chrissie xx

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Hi

Tesco and Morrisons in Penzance(10 mins from Hayle),both on the main A30 as you go into Penzance. Nearest Asda is Falmouth,prob too far for you.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Hi Badcat 110

Many thanks for your quick helpful reply. Much appreciated!

Ah well, I guess it will have to be Helston for Asda's then. (we know Falmouth and have used it but as you say not really close enough. shame.

Good to know Penzance is only a 10 min drive from hayle....the last time we went there though the traffic was horrendous and it took us ages ...

Never mind.

If you know of any inexpensive or reasonably priced all day good breakfast cafes etc in Hayle that you could recommend me please let me know.

Thanks once again for the reply.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

For a "reasonably priced all day breakfast cafe" not in Hayle but only a short drive away you might like to try the Hells Mouth Cafe which is on the B3301 north coastal road, about 4 miles from Hayle central.

We've had some great snacks (amazing "doorstep" sandwiches with crisps and home-made coleslaw) and breakfasts there in the past, the last time in 2009. You can then walk it all off along the spectacular cliffpath - I hope it's still open - we're going back that way in a couple of weeks!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/318431

…geocaching.com/cache/log/97bfa201-da08-4fa8…

…geocaching.com/cache/log/591f2334-c8a3-496e…

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Hi there

Thats good info! Great! will keep an eye out if we go in that direction!

Many Thanks! xx

Edited: 02 May 2011, 18:41
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hayle- 1st week July

Great info. we shall use it when we visit hayle for 3 weeks end of June this year! Can;t wait! The doorstep sarnies sound especially appealing.

Reply to: Hayle- 1st week July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hayle
Recent Conversations