We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Halifax
4 posts
Save Topic
Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Hi,

We are coming to Cornwall for a month in the August.

We are a couple with 4 children aged 11,9,and twins aged 3.

We are looking for recommendations for things to do and places to stay, and a general list of do's and don'ts as we have never visited the area before.

At the moment we are considering staying at Holywell Bay (park-dean holidays) for 2 weeks, and a week at either Sun Valley Holiday Park or Pentewan Sands, then perhaps somewhere near St Ives (perhaps Riviere Sands by Haven. These have all been found on-line so any local ideas would be great (and probably cheaper!)

I would really appreciate any views on these places or recommendations on other family- friendly holiday parks or cottages etc. We would like to spend at least 2 weeks very close to the beach, and would also like to spend a week in a site with some animals.

Also if anyone can recommend, bearing in mind the ages of my children, any places worth visiting (and avoiding!) I would be grateful.

At the moment we have made a list of the monkey sanctuary, the Eden Project, Tintagel, Crealy Adventure Park (Have read terrible reviews of Flambards). The older children are girls and love crafts and little shops, does anyone know of the gem place where you can collect gems and make your own jewellery? I had read about this in another post.

I know this is a long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible to get help!

Thanks

Kirsty

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Hi

Welcome to TA forums.

As a St Austell inhabitant i can help with that part of your holiday.

Pentewan Sands is a biggish site with its own large sandy beach. Very safe for kids - i spent a large part of my childhood there! It has good facilities(pool/club/bar etc),and Pentewan village with its great little pub is on the doorstep. There is also a good cycle trail with cycle hire facilities in Pentewan.Overall it is a good family destination. Sun Valley is smaller,in a pleasant location a mile or so up the valley from Pentewan towards St.Austell. Not by the coast so no beach on site, you would have to go to Pentewan for that. Also not near a village either. I would imagine it would be cheaper than Pentewan Sands? If you want a quieter,smaller place then it would be ok. Personal choice with your family would be Pentewan Sands.If the weather is good,you will love it.

Eden project will be about 20 min drive.

Monkey sanctuary at looe is about an hour away.

You might want to look at some places near Looe to stay,as thats a good area with lots to see and do.

If you do stay in/nr Pentewan, then your girls will like Mevagissey (5 min drive) for poking around little shops on the harbour front. Don't bother with St Austell town,as its being re developed and will not be finished by then,though there is a brand new cinema just opened there(5-10 min drive)

Hope this helps for a start.

Halifax
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Thats great, Thanks for your help. Also any recommendations near Looe anyone!

Leeds
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Hi-we stayed in Holywell Bay last august and are hoping to go again this year.We have 3 children (4,7 &9) and we loved it.Beach is lovely with a shallow stream running down the side of it perfect for younger children to play in also great sand dunes which our older kids loved sliding down in "funbobs" (basically big plastic discs,think sledging but on sand!!can get them in beach shops)Searching for crabs & fish in rockpools was also a winner and obviously body boarding (would recommend getting wetsuits for kids as sea is a bit nippy!)We also visited dairyland which all the kids loved,it has playgrounds,kids can feed and pet animals,pony rides etc..We went to Flambards and enjoyed it although weather was bad so it wasn't too full no queues for rides etc.Did Lands End ,again, kids liked it although this is a bit of a drive.Drove around coast and visited other beaches too-Perranporth was good,lots of caves and rockpools for kids to explore.Holywell is small so for eating out at night we went further out,Smugglers Den was nice and Bowgie Inn both are signposted as you come out of Holywell.Hope you enjoy it ,I'm sure you will.It was the best family holiday we've ever had!!

Halifax
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

Hi, That's great, thanks- the 'Funbobs' sound fab- my girls aged 11 and 9 would love those! Would you say there is enough to entertain for 2 weeks? We are considering this as our base for 2 weeks but want enough on site to entertain the kids for a week of this, plus a week visiting the sights.

Thanks for the help.

Kirsty

Leeds
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

We rented an apartment so cant really help with regards to campsite entertainment etc.. but we stayed for 2 weeks and found there was more than enough to do out & about in fact there were a couple of places we would have liked to go to but didn't get the chance.In our apartment (sure it will be the same on campsite) we had a pack filled with flyers for places to visit,things to do etc also most shops pubs etc had these too so you will have loads of info to make choices on what to do.If the weather is good i'm sure you'll spend most days at the beach anyway as its so lovely.If you want any more help just ask! Kaye

6. Re: Multi-stay holiday in Cornwall for family of 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about St Austell
Recent Conversations