We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Carmel, California...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Hi- My sister and I have gone on driving trips in France - Great. Now we want to go to Cornwall and I want to go to the Lizard. Is driving difficult in Cornwall? Is there lots and lots of traffic? we would probably be driving slowly, cautiously, since we are not used to driving on the left. Any advice would be appreciated. ps my Great Grandmother was from St.Keverne, we will probably want to poke around the cemeteries.

18 replies to this topic
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
757 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

I watched some of the videos mentioned above and the first one is enough to put anyone off driving here!

Talk about 'accident waiting to happen' with driving like that on narrow roads and it was lucky on the bits I watched that there were no pedestrians, cyclists or horses around as at that speed he would not be able to stop. Someone driving at the same speed in the opposite direction would be interesting!

Most people drive at a slower safer pace here so hope that has not put the ladies off.

Agree about Sat Navs and they can really get you into some strange places with roads not much more than tracks. They are useful though so if you get one use it alongside a decent map and just watch the road signs for your destination.

The Lizard is a lovely area and a car is essential there.

Funchal, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Watched the first clip and thought it must be my road as it has the telltale grass in the middle! Yes, many of our roads are narrow and difficult for people not familiar with them. The thing to watch out for is us locals going relatively fast because we know the road, and meeting us head on with nowhere to go as there are high Cornish hedges either side of the road with no passing place for long distances. Local people tend to be very polite and will wave a thank you if you reverse to let them pass. Just make sure your reversing is up to scratch, if not try and avoid the back lanes.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Also make sure you have adequate insurance cover for the inevitable paintwork scratches from the hedgerows! The ability to reverse with confidence is essential.

london
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

just a friendly warning about Cornish hedges ... underneath those pretty plants there are rocks ... they're kind of like dry stone walls with things growing all over them ... this may sound weird, but the idea is to shelter the road from the ferocious winds when gales are blowing

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

You don't need to drive on tiny lanes to see most of Cornwall. The vast majority of roads to towns and most villages are wide enough for two cars to pass easily. There are decent main roads linking all towns and resort type places. So don't be put off. Have a decent map and avoid the tiniest roads and you will see lots and not have any problems.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Cazinatutu - I thought the idea of the hedges was to protect the livestock from the weather and prevent them from escaping. They were there before the roads!

The suggestion of a small car is sensible, you can't go very fast on our roads apart from the A30. If you find there is someone driving on your bumper as you drive along the country road find somewhere suitable to pull in and let them past. It saves the stress of both parties.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

Translation for US ladies;

- hiring a car = renting a car (hiring means to get a car with a driver in the US)

- Sat Nav = GPS

As mentioned, make sure you get a car with automatic transmission.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,862 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US

PS. High hedges are to protect livestock AND to shelter the road...........which used to be a cart track which is why they wind their way from village to village instead of taking a direct route.

We have them here too. And I agree use a map - visitors using sat-navs provide us locals with entertainment.

It's really not that bad, in fact it's beautiful. We're just trying to alert you so you don't have a surprise.

Reply to: Driving in Cornwall -two old ladies from the US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about The Lizard