We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town in Mantoulin Island?

washington DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Hi: My parents and I will be visiting Mantoulin Islands for several days in July. We are looking for some advice on which town we should pick for our stay. Looks like there are lots of towns, but not much info about each one, so quite confusing!

Our current choices are South Baymouth, Gore Bay, and Little Current (only because I've been able to find accomodations with Air conditioning in these towns), but we are open to suggestions.

We are looking for a cute town with good restaurants, shops, galleries that's not overly crowded. Would any of the above mentioned towns fit what we are looking for?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Nadia

11 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Little Current would be your best choice. There is not much info about the other towns because there is really not much to do for tourists. If you are looking for a fancy time you should probably go to The Hamptons.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Go to Google maps and check street views for your towns.

You will find that they are quite small, rural type with very few "touristy" attractions and shopping.

Mindemoya, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Hi, I live on Manitoulin Island and there are lots of things to do here. Gore Bay has several good restaurants and some interesting stores to shop in, and is only 10 minutes from Kagawong, which has a wonderful art studio - Edwards Gallery, where the artists work in a number of medias. It also has some great little stores to shop in, including a chocolate shop where they hand make amazing chocolate daily and blend there own coffee. Little Current has a couple of art gallerys and some great shopping as well. We have so many artists on the island, there is even a artist gallery art tour on the island each year. You can google the Manitoulin Fine Arts Association and get some great info there. You will find that the shops tend to be smaller on the island, but it is usually the owner who is working there and they are knowledgeable and friendly and go out of there way to help you out. I moved to the island about 12 years ago, and love it here. I moved from Edmonton, so a fairly large city, and I don't really miss anything. The aren't any starbucks or tim hortons, but there is great coffee at the locobeans shops, all of which have there own barrista. There is great theatre in Gore Bay and Manitowaning. There are several different farmers markets and there is usually a festival or a pow wow somewhere on the island almost every weekend. We have some amazing restaurants - the Meldrum Bay Inn, The Schoolhouse, The Garden's Gate, all of which feature local foods. And my favorite lunch place, Route 50. There are also some great hiking trails on the island - the most popular being the Cup and Saucer. I really couldn't disagree more with the above comments about there being nothing to do. I guess it depends on what it is you are looking to do. Hope you have a great time on the Island! You may find that you never want to leave! I know I did.

Mindemoya, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Hi, I live on Manitoulin Island and there are lots of things to do here. Gore Bay has several good restaurants and some interesting stores to shop in, and is only 10 minutes from Kagawong, which has a wonderful art studio - Edwards Gallery, where the artists work in a number of medias. It also has some great little stores to shop in, including a chocolate shop where they hand make amazing chocolate daily and blend there own coffee. Little Current has a couple of art gallerys and some great shopping as well. We have so many artists on the island, there is even a artist gallery art tour on the island each year. You can google the Manitoulin Fine Arts Association and get some great info there. You will find that the shops tend to be smaller on the island, but it is usually the owner who is working there and they are knowledgeable and friendly and go out of there way to help you out. I moved to the island about 12 years ago, and love it here. I moved from Edmonton, so a fairly large city, and I don't really miss anything. The aren't any starbucks or tim hortons, but there is great coffee at the locobeans shops, all of which have there own barrista. There is great theatre in Gore Bay and Manitowaning. There are several different farmers markets and there is usually a festival or a pow wow somewhere on the island almost every weekend. We have some amazing restaurants - the Meldrum Bay Inn, The Schoolhouse, The Garden's Gate, all of which feature local foods. And my favorite lunch place, Route 50. There are also some great hiking trails on the island - the most popular being the Cup and Saucer. I really couldn't disagree more with the above comments about there being nothing to do. I guess it depends on what it is you are looking to do. Hope you have a great time on the Island! You may find that you never want to leave! I know I did.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 13:31
washington DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Thank you so much Islandlili. I have booked rooms at the Queens Inn in Gore Bay for two nights in mid-July. I am going to print out your email and take it with me when I travel - I really appreciate the great suggestions! This sounds exactly like the getaway we are looking for. I am looking forward to our trip :)

Gore Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

You are off to a great start and you will thoroughly enjoy your stay at The Queen's Inn! Check out theatre in Gore Bay ,Perivale Gallery in Spring Bay and don't miss a visit to the beach in Providence Bay. Great fish and chip shop there, too!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

We stayed in Providence Bay, was very nice, and yes a great fish n chip restaurant there!! Quiet little town, we stayed at a friend's place, but for 1 night we got a hotel, stayed at Huron Sands hotel, nice room, had AC, very spacious.... enjoy your time on Manitoulin Island! Beautiful place!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

hmmmm... I think 2 days will hardly be enough time to get it all in! Excellent posts and I will bookmark this - we're up your way 3 weeks every year, and though we've done some of what's on the list of suggestions, there is some new stuff to check out - if the fishing slows down... oh yeah, we should give honorable mention to the great fishing! And if you don't fish, find a restaurant or fish'n chips stand serving local catch. I like pickerel, but the trout and whitefish are close seconds.

Mindemoya, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

Hope you have or have had a great time! And I agree with Shannon - the Perivale Gallery is a must see! Some amazing artists are on display there, I love to go there and just look around at all the beautiful pieces! The fish and chips place - Lake Huron Fish & Chips is definitely a good place to stop too - in Providence Bay - great suggestions!

Let us know how your trip went, there are a lot of more places and things we can recommend for you to see and do.

Currently I am watching the most amazing lightening storm blow over lake Manitou - so cool!

Bye for now!

Little Current...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town in Mantoulin Island?

I am moving on the Island soon, from Toronto. It is a place like no other. No fast food store, no concrete streets for night walk. No industry, no money making places.

Manitoulin Island is an isolated spot, and is a living place like it was many hundreds of years ago. Indians, hunting, fishing, slow running time, that is to see on the Island. Some white people are there and only place to go for them is a Church. People living there are not living on money, and they need some money just to pay taxes to the Gov. Everyone owns tools, some more some less, people make houses themselves.

Food are Deer (a lot), Moose (from mainland), wild Turkey, Can. Goose, Rabbit, ... planted vegetable.

There is some food-store, coffee shops, general store, ... in Little Current. For accommodation google for a new Hotel in Little Current (huge one and beautiful) just behind the bridge. Go to downtown in Little Current and visit TARNER'S store (go upstairs)...

Mostly, you will see how people live a nice life without money.

Reply to: Which town in Mantoulin Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manitoulin Island