We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Hi all. Thanks in advance.

I will be arriving by VA flight from Ayers Rock to Brisbane at 7.30pm. The last Easy Busy to Byron Bay is at 8pm. I am worried I may miss the bus due to the time it takes to unload baggage. Are there any options for me (preferably cheap) to get to Byron Bay that night?

I am exploring the option to fly to change the flight to go to Gold Coast instead but this is dependent on whether the ticket can be modified, still waiting for confirmation from the travel agent I used for this trip (VA said it should be possible but needs to be initiated by the agent).

Please advise. Cheers.

AD

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
114 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Nope ... you will have to stay the night.

Virgin do not fly direct Ayers Rock to Brisbane or the Gold Coast ... only Sydney. Why wouldn't you fly from Sydney to Ballina which is right next to Byron?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Hi able58,

Yes, it is a connecting flight from Sydney. Since I am arriving in Sydney around 5pm, there are no Ballina flights left on that day. I do not wish to stay overnight in Sydney to catch a flight on the next day. It would be similar to staying over at Brisbane and catching the bus early in the morning. I have already booked accommodation in Byron Bay for that night (thinking I could somehow make it). If I am able to fly into Gold Coast (VA seem to have a flight from Sydney), I should have ample time to catch the last bus out to Byron Bay. Yea, the worst case scenario would be to stay overnight in Brisbane -- somewhere cheap close to the airport. Thank you.

3. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2017, 00:05
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
114 reviews
4. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

<< Any ticket can be modified at an extra cost >> ... that's just not true. Many tickets are non changeable and non refundable.

And you cannot use TA to promote a business.

Edited: 19 May 2017, 23:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

What date are you doing this? If you change your flight to Gold Coast instead of Brisbane,

there are several shuttle options.

This is one: https://liftbyronbusservice.com.au/…

This one has a 19:30 pick-up at OOL, Mon-Friday

Here's another: https:/…

The Brisbane shuttle may also pick up from the Gold Coast Airport (OOL).

Caveat: I rent a car & drive from the Gold Coast, so have no experience with any of the shuttles.

Car rental is another low cost option you might consider. I always want to have the ready transport & flexibility of a car around the coast.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Thank you, @able58.

Hi @Bokhara,

I decided to keep my original plan unchanged as the ticket amendment costs are high. Will take the chance. :)

Cheers!

AD

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Just in case it doesn't work out ... sleepinginairports.net/oceania/brisbane.htm

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

@Luigi - That's a lifesaver! Thank you!!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

Thanks, Ansh. I knew I was reading your mind. :))

10. Re: How to get from Brisbane Domestic Airport to Byron Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2017, 15:05
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay