We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

san francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Hi there -

Going from Airlie Beach to Byron Bay around mid December. What's the best way to get there? It doesn't seem the cheaper airlines do direct flights from AB to BB ... only to Brisbane....

Should I take one of those flights? If so, how would I get to BB from Brisbane? I'm not on a crazy schedule, so I'm open to bus or train from AB too ...

Also - while I have your attention ... I'm looking for recommendations for a budget place to stay in Byron. I know - will be hard to find at that time of year, but a gal's gotta try! :)

I've never done a hostel, and now feel a bit too old for one (I'm 34) - but will give it a go .. but would like a place not too party, crazy to stay.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Airlie Beach to Byron Bay is a long way, it depends on how much time you have to travel.

I would certainly try and get a cheap flight from Prosperine Airport to Brisbane..to save money then get a shuttle bus to Byron Bay.

Brisbane 2 Byron is an express bus service that travels from Brisbane to Byron Bay and back 7 days a week.

Departs Daily

For suggestions, where to stay...have a look at www.wotif.com.au for ideas regarding your budget.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Fly Whitsunday airport to Brisbane then bus to BB. Otherwise chcek out Grehound bus schedules. It is hard to find budget accom in BB at the best of times, suggest backpackers may be your best bet.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Don't get too conservative too early in your life.....after all you are from sf.....try the arts factory for accommodation.

the other recs for travel are good.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Trust me, at 34 you are not too old for hostels, although you may need to be careful which ones to choose.

My wife and I went all around Oz and stayed in the YHAs in most of the cities/towns. At 35 I was rarely the oldest person staying there, although a lot of the "older" guests were either in couples or booked a single room to themselves.

The best advice I could give you would be to stick to the YHA hostels. The non-YHA hostels we stayed in were a nightmare (other than Radekas in Coober Peedy) as they are not required to keep to a certain standard like the YHAs.

We stayed in the Byron Bay YHA which was wiothin easy walking distance of the bus and town and had a good pool. Only problem was the music being played too loud over the speakers during the day (god I sound old) but that was only while the owners weren't around.

Last peice of advice - join the YHA. Not only will you save a couple of bucks on each nights stay, but most of the major attractions around Australia will give you a discount of around 10%.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

You should be looking at booking in Byron today, if not sooner.

You will probably find most places are booked out aready at that time of year. Try the Wollongbar Motel for good value motel style.

Good Luck

san francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

Thanks very much for all the advice! Sounds like a plane to Brisbane and then bus to BB is the way to go .. as well as YHA. I'll book now - thanks again!

7. Re: How do I get to Byron Bay from Airlie Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay