We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

I'm hiring a car in Sydney for a week to visit the coast. Which is a better place to stay? Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
891 Reviews
Byron Bay, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

What do you want?

Byron is more alternative and has a higher end accom cost

Coffs has more to do locally if things go pear shaped and a better range of accom, it also has a much higher popn

Mentioned in this post
The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa
The Byron at Byron...
1,199 Reviews
Suffolk Park, Australia
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

I'm on a round the world trip and after four days in Sydney I'm hiring a car to drive up the coast for some R&R before I get on a plane again. I've got about seven days and I want to base myself somewhere where I can chill out and take day trips to see wildlife, beaches, etc as the fancy takes me, or just lounge round a pool. I've seen a lovely B&B on Solitary Islands Marine National Park near the sea side village of Woolgoolga, and one in Sapphire Bay. I'm not bothered about being in an urban sprawl and want some peace and quiet which is why I've been looking at places outside the bigger towns/cities.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

Meant to say, many thanks for getting back to me. Can you also tell me what the weather is likely to be like towards end November in that area? I've checked some weather sites and it seems that it will be warm but not as humid as the summer. Is it likely to rain at that time of year? I'm coming from the UK via Beijing and Xian ( cold); Hong Kong (warmer); Sydney (could rain and be cool?) and I would like to relax in some warmer weather!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,642 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

Hi Magpie, depending on what time of the year you will be here, why don't you freestyle until you find what your after. Plenty of other seaside towns along the coast, one of my favourite areas is Yamba/Angourie.

Mentioned in this post
Yamba
Yamba
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,642 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

Yamba weather averages, click on the link below.

November is still in the season change cycle, normally associated with warm days, mild nights and possible storms. And November is in the lower averages for rain.

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_058012_All.shtml

Mentioned in this post
Yamba
Yamba
6. Re: Byron Bay or Coffs Harbour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay