We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron schoolies 2013

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Byron schoolies 2013

Hi I want to take my wife away for a relaxing weeekend for our 1st wedding anniversary the weekend November 30 - Dec 2. I found a lovely luxurious accommodation but just realised its in the middle of schoolies. How bad is it?

She has never been to Byron whereas i have been several times. Any suggestions would be grand. Considered Nth QLD but for 2 nights ex sydney its hardly worth it. Byron would be perfect but....?

Tassie is an option..

Edited: 12 September 2013, 16:18
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,014 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Byron will be hell during schoolies. Come to Tassie instead. :)

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Honestly, schoolies outside of Surfers Paradise is a bit of a non-event. By the time you get to Byron Bay you would be unlikely to notice any real difference to any other time in Byron Bay. Schoolies don't tend to stay in luxurious, more expensive accommodation places so I would go ahead and book it.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Not me. Byron is a nightmare during schoolies. Even during the day the place is crawling with anti social little twerps. Go to Tas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

I'd go to Tassie, too!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Beach8um, have you been to Byron during schoolies? We passed through last year - didn't even stop for coffee. It was HORRIBLE. I know you may think I'm a grumpy old woman (a badge of honour!) but there's nothing attractive about a town full of drunk 18 year olds.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 06:28
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

People they are trying to fix any issues.. Is it the schoolies or the toolies that are the issue...

Gold Coast have issues with the " to old to be a school crowd"

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

There are many of great things in Byron Bay to enjoy. It is a wonderful place for couples.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Not sure how someone that passes through a town can have an intimate knowledge of what happens at schoolies over a week? Fyi I have been to schoolies many times on the Gold Coast and Byron Bay and generally whilst working during the night and day. So yes I have been there.

Not all people are after lawn bowls and slow dancing for holiday activities.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

>>schoolies outside Surfers Paradise is a bit of a non event. By the time you get to Byron Bay you would be unlikely to notice any real difference to any other time in Byron Bay<<Beach8um, this comment proves to me that you haven't been to Byron during schoolies(or you're extremely tolerant ). I see it year after year. These hooligans think its their right to impose there drunkenness on anyone else, you mightn't mind sidestepping the fights or the vomit or finding the lost underwear of an 18 year old, but the general population finds it appalling.

It doesn't matter where you stay in Byron at this time of year, you will encounter the loutish behaviour.

And I don't think your disrespectful comments do your argument any justice

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Byron schoolies 2013

Well Glenn, I don't appreciate your saying I must not have been to Byron when schoolies is on because I am willing to bet I have been there more often than you. Maybe I am more tolerant than you. Just because I have an opposing view doesn't mean I am incorrect or haven't experienced it.

And personally, groups of louts are commonplace in Byron Bay at any time of year.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 08:58
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay