We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Hi All,

My bf and I are doing a self drive from Sydney to Melbourne in Feb and can't decide if we should do our first stop in Jervis Bay or Batemans ? Was thinking of spending 2 nights at one destination. Or should we do one night in each place?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Hi STEPHANIE H. I'm wondering what you're thinking of when you say Ulladulah, might just want to double check that?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

@Stephanie H - Perhaps you were in Jervis Bay town? When people refer to Jervis Bay, they usually mean the area from Huskisson across to Vincentia, which fronts on to the bay. Although it isn't the most lively area in the world, you certainly won't have a problem getting a restaurant for dinner, and a drink afterwards.

Ulladulla is before Batemans Bay heading from Sydney. My guess is you mean Narooma?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Stay in Huskisson. Fabulous restaurants, great pub and a lovely walk along the bay. Definitely does not close down at 3 pm

I think Huskies is the best kept Australian secret

RAYMORE
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Ulladulla seemed like a nice sized town, with a great main street and plenty to do. If you are wanting to drive a little farther than Jervis Bay, but not as far as Bateman's (which would be a long day in the car), it seemed like it would be a nice place to stay. We went out to Dolphin's Point for a bit. Again, just traveling through, but I think I remember it correctly because it is the first town we decided we would like to live in.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 08:26
RAYMORE
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

OK - maybe 3 was a bit of an exaggeration. It was a Monday, which I understood some places were not open or chose to close early, but without exaggeration, everything except one restaurant and the attached pub, and the local hall were closed by 6. We stayed in Huskisson, which is on the North end of Jervis Bay. It was very pretty.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Hi, Jervis Bay is gorgeous for scenery, food, beaches, but is very close for a first stop. If that's not a problem, you could arrive early and make a good stay out of it. Hyam's Beach is a favourite of ours and has a beautiful white sand beach, but the accommodation is expensive. Other suggestions of Huskisson are good, too. If you decide to drive for a bit longer on your first day, Bateman's would be good, but I'd stay somewhere like south Durras, which has better scenery. There's a good cabin park there and you can drive into Bateman's for food.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

I'd definitely be stopping at Jervis Bay. Great choice of towns around the bay, Huskisson, Vincentia etc. to stay.

Australia's whitest sand, fantastic restaurants etc. There's so much on offer around Jervis Bay you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy yourself.

As opposed to Batemans Bay. These days unfortunately it's pretty lackluster. If you fancy a trip back to 1994 then sure, but it wouldn't waste much of my holiday there.

Have a safe trip!

Huskisson
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

If your after some nice places to eat then try Huskisson. During the day, there are some great cafes like Kiosk, Supply, World famous fish and chips and the Husky Pub, for lunch or dinner. For Dinner there a nice Italian called Faro Bianco, and also there is Stone Grill for steaks which is nice. Also just down the road in Vincentia is the 3 Gringos Mexican. Very good Chinese at Vincentia Golf club. I think Huskisson (Jervis Bay) has more to offer scenery wise than Batemans but hey, it's the south coast, it's all magic. It's also worth getting off the main road just past Narooma and doing the coastal drive through Tarthra to Merimbula. Just done the same drive and it was awesome.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

Jervis bay all the way. If you aren't going to be able to get this way again do your self a favour and stay here for 2 nights. Hyams beach has the whitest sand in the world. It is a wonderfully unpopulated area and outside school hoildays there are days you can be the only person on the beach. Batemans bay is nice but reall doesn't have the expanse of beach and the untouched beauty that jervis bay has. If you want specific accommodation ideas let me know a budget and I can guide you as there many varied accommodation options

20. Re: Jervis Bay or Batemans Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2016, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Jervis Bay