We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

Erlangen
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

Hello,

next year in march I'll stay for one week in Sydney. I have been there a couple of times before, so now I would like to see more from the nearby areas. I don't go by car, I'll take the train. I thought I take a train in the morning from Sydney to Kiama, do some walkings, stay overnight , do some walkings on the next day and go back by train to Sydney in the evening. Or is it too less time? Could I do more walkings/sightseeings (without a car) in this area?

How easy is it to get a simple accomodation short in advance?

I would prefer to arrive in Sydney first, see what the weatherforecast is for the next days, and then go to Kiama when the weather is good. Otherwise I wouldn't go. The statistics says that the most rainfall is in march. So I need to be flexible.

best regards,

bima

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

That sounds fine to me. If its not a weekend you'll have no problem with accommodation in March.

Erlangen
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

That's good, I will not go on weekend. Any suggestions for Kiama?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

I've visited Kiama quite a bit - the main attraction there is the Blowhole, which is on a neat setting out on a point with a lighthouse - but the belowhole itself is not as regular as it used to be. There is one called the Little Blowhole which is much more regular but a bit hard to find down a suburban street - print out a Google Map or something to make sure you don't miss it.

Besides that there are markets on the 3rd Sunday of the month, should that happen to correspond to your visit, several beaches, and a number of nice shops - but it's not someplace I have stayed for a long time -normally it's a day trip or just a shorter stopover as part of a longer drive in the region.

If you like to walk, there are several coastal walks throughout the area, but the best is the newly built part from Kiama Heights (south of town) to Werri Beach and Gerringong.

www.kiama.com.au/see-and-do/cyclewayswalks

(see section 3)

There are other sites with detailed maps too.

This section is pretty much a half day to a full day out - bring lots of water, snacks, and note that it's a few km on either end to/from each railway station. The train at Gerringong runs only every two hours, so it probably makes sense to first catch the train there from Kiama, and then walk south to north. That also means you come to the Werri Lagoon a bit earlier and don't have as far to backtrack if you can't cross it due to high water. I highly recommend this walk and your post has stirred me into planning to go there again soon!

Good luck and post a trip report if you can :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

I go to Kiama regularly as I love the south coast. Although I have never stayed there - I've thought about it but didn't end up staying anywhere - the Sebel Hotel is walking distance to the railway station and shops and about a kilometre or so from the Blow Hole. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel with large windows looking towards the Lighthouse/ Blowhole ... a great setting.

There is other accommodation of course and apart from Easts Beach where there is cabin accommodation etc and a little too far to walk into town, the Sebel is the only one I know the location of ... the tourist information centre or google could help with other options for sure.

It would be fine to stay there on a weekend if you book in advance, and there is plenty of accommodation. The times you would be lucky to get accommodation is in the school holiday periods, particularly from mid December to mid-late January where places are pretty well booked in advance.

If you go on a weekend, the third Sunday in each month there is Kiama Seaside Market with nearly 200 market stalls selling all sorts of things - some really nice things but not too expensive IMO.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

Good choice, Bima777 - the south coast is quite lovely.

You might pick up a bargain on bookings.com or www.wotif.com.au - have a look when you get here ( or before ) to get an idea of what's available for how much. All the properties have maps.

Erlangen
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?

Thanks to all!

I'm looking forward to go to Kiama and do the walks :-)

Reply to: how much time and where to stay in Kiama?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiama