We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

Which Lord Howe Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

Hi

We are planning a once in a lifetime trip to Lord Howe in early January 2014. We are divers and will probably spend most of our time underwater (I haven't looked at dive package prices yet but if we are going that far...)

We have left it rather late to book accommodation and it looks as though we don't still have the full range of options open to us. One possibility is Arajilla though I really don't think I can stomach the prices. On the other hand we are told it is holiday time and we don't want to be surrounded by screaming children (as one person has written about Pinetrees).

We don't mind self-catering or eating out rather than all-inclusive (in fact maybe better to avoid AI for the waistline and the diving). We are prepared to push the boat out a bit on accommodation as this is a special trip, but need to remember we won't be spending most of our time in our room. So what we really want is clean, quiet and comfortable, maybe with cooking facilities. A deck with nice view would be a definite bonus - but all room views we have seen on LHI accommodation websites seem to be of dense trees. Is there anywhere at all with a sea or mountain view?? We assume not (at least not in the under $1000 a night bracket, which is what we are considering).

So far we are looking at

Earl's Anchorage (may be fully booked already)

Blue Lagoon

Ebbtide

Howeana

Any views on the relative merits of any of these, or any more we should consider?

Thanks very much

Rogzog

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

I'd go for Lady Elliot or Heron without a doubt if diving is your first priority. I wouldn't read too much into the boy scout accommodation comments. While I would agree with that for the most basic eco huts etc. both places have numerous levels of rooms and the more expensive ones are pretty decent. Certainly no comparison to Arajilla but what I would consider 4 star quality. I thought the food was pretty good in both places, not Michelin quality but I was really only there to be in the water and was more than happy with the meals. Weather is unpredictable at either place. Birds never bothered me in the least. Also turtles could be nesting at that time of year which is really worth going for that alone.

UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

Hi there

Well after a lot of agonising we have decided (primarily my OH has decided!) to book a liveaboard on the GBR. I am slightly disappointed if I'm truthful, as I had done a lot of research on LHI and it does look a fantastic place. But my hubby's reasoning is that we should make the most of dive opportunities while we are still young enough and fit enough - and I can go with that.

One other thing that persuaded us away from LHI is the luggage issue. We discovered quite late on that the standard allowance is 14kg with hand luggage. We are very keen divers and would want to use our own kit (which we are lugging half way around the world) so this was a pretty big obstacle. When I asked the dive shops they said we might be able to pay for excess luggage but we'd need to enquire direct with Qantas. I was surprised they didn't have this info at their fingertips themselves, which made me think maybe they don't get many international diver visitors.

If we had stayed on LHI I had done the research, and we'd probably have split our time between Ebbtide and Lorhiti.(neither could accommodate us for the whole period).

Anyhoo, that's what we've gone for. Please don't tell me now that w've made the worng decision - it is made! Hoepfully we will still manage to visit LHI one day - and at least I know where to start in terms of accommodation.

Thanks for your many suggestions. Ozrcflyer if it all goes pear-shaped it will ALL be your fault!! :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

Impossible to make a bad decision out of any of those choices, all would be fantastic in their own way. If you want to spend as much time as possible in the water nothing compares to the liveaboard, especially diving the reef as the sun is coming up in the morning. Some of the best trips of our lives have been spending a few nights out on the reef. If time and budget (and weather) permits try to rent a car and spend a few nights up around Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation area as well, really is amazing scenery there.

24. Re: Under $1000 a night for 2 but nice accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Lord Howe Island