We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Just wondering where I good place to stop would be to have lunch on the road from Sydney to Narooma (considering a place about half way or to divide the driving 3h + 2h or vice versa etc).

And recommendations on the must-do's while staying at Narooma, including restaurant and cafes. In particular, first-time lobster!

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Hi

I would probably stop off in Batemans Bay. As you cross over the bridge, take the first left and it will take you right into the centre of the town - along the waterfront. There are a lot of cafes to choose from here and all with great views.

Otherwise, if you didn't want to travel that far, you could also stop in at Mollymook. When you go through the town of Milton, there will be a turn off at a roundabout that says Mollymook.

Narooma is my favourite town on the coast. I have to travel the whole south coast (down to Eden) a lot for work. You won't get any better seafood than in Narooma. When you come into town and cross the bridge, take the first right and follow that road - there are some cafes there with fresh seafood.

It is a very easy town to get around. If you also want million dollar views and a casual meal, go to O'Briens (http://www.obrienspubnarooma.com/)

If you are looking at other things to do in the area, take a 5 minute drive south to Tilba Tilba (http://www.tilba.com.au/location.htm) a cute little country town with a cheese factory.

Enjoy your trip!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

nothing much to add to the above but if u want some of the best fish and chips in the country for lunch go to innes boatshed at batemans bay. sits right on/over the river. they are currently operating under the 'sword of damocles' due to (a really inappropriate) redevelopment and could close any moment after some 50 years. rumour has it however that the winner of the redevelopment contract is in financial difficulties (there is a god) so locals are enjoying the bonus.

another good spot is in ulladulla at 'yes i am' thai in wason street. $9.50 lunch specials. for a longer more expensive lunch try the vineyard kitchen at cupitts winery. turn right at the ulladulla post office.

pilgrims in milton has great vegetarian and good coffee.

next door, bacchus is a little more formal and expensive.

from narooma a trip to bermagui and maybe a day loop trip to tathra from there and back along the highway.

the tilba valley wines is not a bad place for a visit. in a nice setting and their wines have improved over the years

Edited: 30 May 2011, 03:50
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

We liked our lunch at the Quarterdeck Cafe in Narooma http://www.narooma.org.au/quarterdeck.html

As we had a kitchen during our stay we bought lobster at Narooma Bridge Seefood. Delicious. And if you are a golfer, try Narooma Golfcourse, very nicely located along the coast. The whole area is breathtaking imo.

Tet

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Sydney to Narooma will be about 5 hours depending on traffic conditions. Batemans bay is only 45 minutes to Narooma and while it is nice it is not really in the middle. I think your best options would be Nowra, a town with no scenery but with lots of food options, or Ulladulla which has both scenery and food options.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Hey.

I know this post is quite old but I was wondering how your journey from Sydney to Narooma was. I'm thinking bout doing it in March but with a stop at Jarvis Bay on the way over night then carry into Eden. Any tips of advise. Would you recommend to stay the night. Is there much to do and see? I am trying to find out as much info as I possibly can.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's

Hi Missy R.

I am guessing since you have posted infrequently on the forum and do not appear to have followed up any of your posts that you are unfamiliar with how it works.

The OP (original poster) has not been active on the forum for three years so you are unlikely to get a reply regarding their journey, and since that journey took place about five years ago any information would not be as up-to-date as that which others on the forum could provide. In addition, every once in a while even those of us who have been posting for a while overlook the date of the original post and spend time replying to the defunct original query.

You can start a new thread by clicking on the yellow 'Ask a question' button. Include as much info as you can because we are not mindreaders and because we reply to many threads some of which are similar it really helps to be able to glance back at the original post for a comprehensive overview of each query. For example you have advised when but other information to be factored into our advice includes how long and whether you are returning to Sydney or continuing to Melbourne. In this way you can get relevant information and advice tailored to your requirements.

In the meantime have a browse of this www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast and feel free to post a draft itinerary because those are a very good starting point for understanding what sort of trip travellers are hoping to do and what their interests are.

Reply to: Narooma from Sydney and must-do's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Narooma