We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve

Which Nelson Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve

We plan on driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on the M1 (formerly the F3) on the afternoon of Tuesday 24 December.

Can anyone give us an idea as to what the traffic will be like?

We did that drive in the morning on Xmas Day two years ago and it was murder; just wondering if we can expect the same on Xmas Eve.

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve

If you can, try and plan your trip for the morning rather than the afternoon. Christmas Eve on the Pacific Highway is pretty heavy, especially at the John Renshaw roundabout at the end of the freeway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve

I can endorse Vicki's advice. Christmas Eve will not be as heavy as Christmas Day, but still heavy.

In past years when I have driven up on Christmas Day it has been very late afternoon and the traffic was ok. I am not sure that it is still the same.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve

Hi Vicki, Hi Les

Thank you both for your responses. Just thought I'd let you know the outcome.....

As it turned out we had to go up in the afternoon - left about 1pm and had a dream run - it was fairly quiet.

We came back on Boxing Day, leaving about 10.30am - it was a bit busier but no worries, other than a ten minute slowdown as we came towards Mooney Mooney where those poor Pakistani guys crashed and two of them died. Life's so fragile isn't it?

Thanks again and happy travels....

Reply to: Driving from Sydney to Nelson Bay on Xmas Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nelson Bay