We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jim Thorpe WhiteWater rafing Adventures

toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Jim Thorpe WhiteWater rafing Adventures

There are a few whitewater rafting companies in this region. I have read some pretty disturbing reviews regarding delays and rude services.

Near end of August, we called all the companies for information for Aug 29 weekend. We encountered rude services from all companies except for Jim Thorpe River Adventures (jtra), that helped my family to made the decision to go with jtra.

The day started on time at 11:20am with checkin.

There was delays, but this was due to people arriving late. jtra accomodated our family of 4 with our own raft.

We had around 20 rafts in our group, we saw another company with 30+ rafts. This other larger group started long before us, we passed them around midday and finished our trip before them.

Everyone at jtra were friendly and treated us nicely.

There are 5 guides with the group, the guides are really super, they are seasoned, very capable and knowledgable. During the trip they had to rescue people who fell out of their rafts and a few rescues were in the rapids, one person who was rescued in one of the very fast rapid was really impressed with the guides.

At the beginning, one raft was throw water at others, but it was limited to a few rafts, and they stopped after about 10 minutes. The rest of trip the water fight was mainly between rafts that wanted to participate. There was not the uncalled for water fights that were reported in other reviews.

On the river, there were many times we had to wait for the rest of the group, but it was a nice trip overall. The trip on the river took almost 6 hours.

Our family enjoyed the trip and would do it again with jtra.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jim Thorpe WhiteWater rafing Adventures

We rafted with them Labor Day weekend and also had a great trip. I didn't review because my husband is old friends with the company owner, Jerry. After our trip we were talking to Jerry, and he discussed the importance of having smaller groups than what the other companies take. Glad to hear you also had a good experience.

Unfortunately, delays are a normal part of the process of getting a large number of inexperienced rafters outfitted safely and thoroughly instructed. Our scheduled arrival time was 11:30, but my husband (a longtime whitewater enthusiast, and former guide) warned me that the typical difference between arrival and getting on the river is 2 hrs. That doesn't mean that you don't have to arrive at the scheduled time, there is just that much that needs to be done to get things together - releases signed, dry tops or wet suits rented, rafting groups placed, instructions given, paddles handed out, buses loaded, trek to the river, and load the rafts. If feels like a delay to us, but for them, it is not and can easily go longer than that if people arrive late or are uncooperative.

2. Re: Jim Thorpe WhiteWater rafing Adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Jim Thorpe