We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with trip plans

Lancaster, South...
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with trip plans

We are planning a "stop over" trip to the Lancaster/Hershey area of PA on our way to visit dh family in Ithaca. We will getting into the PA area probably around 5pm on Dec. 26. We will be staying 2 nights and can leave anytime on the 28th (only 4 hours to NY and we don't need to be there at any special time). Family of 5 (3 kids - 19, 18 &12).

So far I have found 3 hotels to choose from:

1) Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Lancaster - 1 BR suite for $119/nt

2)Kitchen Kettle Village - The Grand View Suite for $139/nt or

3)Best Western Revere Inn & Suites - 2 rooms in main bld for $72/nt/ea

So far we plan on visiting (as time allows):

1) Hershey (factory and park - lights at night maybe)

2) Koziar's Christmas Village

3) Strasburg Rail Road and Museum (ride the train)

4) Kitchen Kettle Village

5) Amish farm tour (still looking for best one)

So, my question for the experts. Given the hotel choices so far and the activities what would be your order of preference. Which hotel stands out (the prices are so close that wouldn't be an issue), atmosphere and comfort are top. Which activities are must do's and if you know of others that are better.

Thanks for any help.

NY
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with trip plans

Never stayed at kitchen kettle's place, but it looks real nice. Stayed at country inn and suites, wouldn't bother going back there, and stay twice a year at the revere inn. You cannot, I repeat, cannot go wrong there. Clean, modern, safe, and a nice breakfast included. I';ve stayed in almost every place around the area, and it's by far my favorite. Your activites are fun ones also. enjoy. I'll be back myself again next week.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with trip plans

My picks were Country Inn or Best Western until I saw the prices. For $72 a night I would jump at the Revere. While there make sure to have dinner at the tavern. One of my favorites.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with trip plans

We've stayed in the Kitchen Kettle Grand View Suite twice. Very nice 2 BR/2bath apartment-style room, plus sleeper sofa. There will be nothing for the kids to do at night if you stay there, except watch TV and DVD's/videos. The Town of Intercourse is deserted after the stores close. Go with BW's Revere or Eden.

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with trip plans

Your activity list looks great. For an Amish farm tour, I suggest the one next to Target on Lincoln Highway/Rt. 30. Also, you may want to take advantage of our tax-free clothes and shoes at Rockvale Square Outlets (also on Lincoln Highway/Rt. 30).

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with trip plans

I agree with scw about the kids and staying at Revere or the Eden. I would do the Hershey trip with your kids.

Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with trip plans

We have stayed twice at the Best Western Revere, and I would highly recommend it. Be sure you are in the main building,(as we were) which in our opinion the rooms are bigger & nicer.I would say that Hershey would probably be good for the kids,as would the train.The other attractions you listed are ?'s as to teenage importance. If theatre is an option, their are several in the area.Sight & Sound Theatre I think would be enjoyable, as would the Dutch Apple Theatre, which is also a dinner theatre.The Rainbow Theatre is also right next door to the Best Western Revere

Their is also the American Music Theatre which I'm quite sure would be of interest.Good luck & have a ball

S.E. PA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with trip plans

The kettle place is cute and if you like to shop, lots of country style things, WE do like the railroad, check into times, that it is open that week, Alot of things close down for the season. There is a Fuddruckers on 30 near Rockvale outlets, i loveto eat there.

Are your children male or female? The trains are very boy Longwood gardens is in chester county but an amazing place at christmas. {@ 45 - hour from kettle place?} Sorry i cant help in the amish tour dept, i have my own amish farm i stop at to ask all my garden questiones.

S.E. PA
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with trip plans

OH YEAH THE EDEN IS GREAT!!! The resturant there had to die for ribs!!!

new york
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with trip plans

If you are looking for an Amish experience in terms of accomodations, you may want to try the Amish View Inn and Suites...................

Unfortunately, I am not big on the activities there. I basically go to Lancaster to shop at the outlets.

My 4 year old did enjoy the mile long and back buggy ride with Aaron and Jessica buggy rides.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with trip plans

The Eden is also a Best Western... there or the Revere; either would be a great choice.

I'd do Hershey and/or the Strasburg RR & museum (as someone else said, especially if you have boys). Not sure the kids would enjoy an Amish tour & very doubtful they would enjoy the other two choices!

PS: Here's an excerpt from a thread from the Myrtle Beach SC forum from early this year:

"I think I already know, but can anyone tell me how Lancaster, SC is pronounced? Is it like Burt Lang-CAS-ter (accent on second syllable)? I'm from Lancaster, PA, which is pronounced LANC-a-ster"

cbr_guest

Posted on: 11:01 am, February 04, 2007

"It anit LAN-CASTER.

I will try to help you since I am a neighbor to Lancaster.

Lan-ca-ster. The A in the Lan part is a long A.

I hope this helps."

Would it be pronounced Lane-ca-ster then?