We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mud sale

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Mud sale

Does anyone know where I can find out info about the mud sales coming up this year? I think we're going to be in the area about April 4 th. We went to our first one last year, and it was the highlight of the trip. I don't want to miss out.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mud sale

Go to www.padutchcountry.com, click on events and search under antiques, auctions and mud sales. It list two in April (the 3rd and 12th), both in the southern end of Lancaster County.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mud sale

P.S. Call and confirm both of those. Another website has the second one on the 5th and a 3rd website has the first one on the 5th. Phone numbers for both can be found on the website in the last post.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mud sale

Are these mud sales really worth going to, or is it mostly just junk? I've heard about them but really know very little about what goes on. Can one of you elaborate?

Thanks

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mud sale

The mud sales may not be worth it from a "shopping" viewpoint (although you can get some great bargains), but it is an annual spring ritual that every visitor should experience at least once.

You will have the rare opportunity to mingle with and observe our plain people enjoying a "day off" (although some will be working at the sales). It is not often that these young men & women have a day to hang out with their neighbors & flirt a little (ah, spring!) At some point in the day the boys & younger men will drift off & get up a game of "man-in-the-middle."

Some go just for the food...great home cooked Chicken Corn Soup & baked goods...again a chance to meet & dine with our plain residents & other locals.

Most mud sales have quilt auctions...the best way to buy one. The Gap sale (one of the last) has one of the largest quilt auctions & also a buggey auction (you can sit in & check out all the ltest models!).

My favorite is the Bart sale...this is near where the schoolhouse tragedy occurred & they often have some commemorative items auctioned for charity.

5. Re: Mud sale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:19