We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

Auckland
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

We have found it very hard to get a grip on public transport services in this area.Some one suggested we hire a car and drive,but as we are accustomed to driving on the opposite side of the road we would prefer not to do that. There must surely be buses/trains that connect the likes of Bird in the Hand/Intercourse/hershey/lancaster? Not necessarily all at once:) We have 2/3 days in Lancaster as part of an extensive US/Canada tour

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

The Red Rose Transit Authority runs thru Lancaster County (www.redrosetransit.com). Route 13 will take you through Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse. The City of Lancaster is the hub. There is the Greyhound Bus Lines at the Lancaster Train Station. You could take it to Hershey. Are you going to Hershey for the thrill rides at the amusement park? If not, there's no reason to go except for the quick animated tour at Chocolate World.

Auckland
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

Thankyou ,that makes it a lot easier. We thought the Hershey factory would have been interesting thats all. We are past the fun ride experiences:)Appreciate your help.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

Once in the area you could yake an Amish buggy ride.Some will take you through the back roads and farms and you can see the farmers at work. Try this web site. www.padutchcountry.com It is the site for Lancaster County Visitors Center. It will list Lodging,food,attractions,things to do.

Oh yes,the buggys drive on the right side also. Just a little humor. Enjoy your visit. After seeing Amish Country,you may want to return someday.

I know in a year and a half we will be there for good.

God Bless, popc

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

I mean you can Take a buugy rided. Sorry about that.A typist I'm not.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

RE: Hershey

It has been several decades since you could tour the actual Hershey factory. The "Chocolate World" tour/ride they have now is a simulated factory tour but entertaining & informative.

There is also ZooAmerica which you can visit without paying the full admission to the amusement park.

Auckland
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

Thankyou for all the help We wish we had realised all this wealth of knowledge was here a lot sooner!

Leaving here in a weeks time doesn't give us a lot of time to learn all we need/want to know

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

Not sure where you are staying but you could probably contact a local hotel to ask about public transportation. I would imagine it is not great though, given how rural it is. Our family definitely enjoyed Chocolate World and the simulated factory tour but we also found the experience was more geared towards children. So I probably would not travel via public transit just for that. There are other things to see though if you are really set on spending a day in Hershey. I would recommend the trolley tour of the town. It takes you through the history of the town and its founder Milton Hershey who was a really fascinating man. I have also heard nice things about Hershey Gardens and Zoo America (a small local zoo), though I have not personally been to either. Enjoy your time in the US!

8. Re: Geetting around Lancaster /Hershey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations