We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Hi,

We are a group of 8-10 people planning to make a day trip to Hersheys and Amish county tomorrow from NJ. We were primarily interested in the Hershey's Chocolate Factory and going around Amish county. I had a few questions in that regard:

1. Is it feasible to do both in a day?

2. How far are they from each other? We will be driving.

3. What time should we aim to get to the chocolate factory?

4. What is the best way to go around Amish county in half a day?

Any tips/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

SD

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Yes, it is possible if you get an early start. Chocolate World opens at 9 a.m. tomorrow. I would try to be there then or shortly after. Park in Chocolate World's parking lot that you access directly off of Park Rd. Do not get caught up in the traffic going into the park or those lots. I can give you the back way from town if you need it. It will save you a lot of time. The CW lot charges by the hour. Spend about a hour to a hour and a half, going on the free tour. There are a couple of other activities you can pay extra for if you're interested. Buy some candy and a few souvineers and have a cookie.

Lancaster is about 45 minutes from Hershey. I can also give you the best way to get there if needed.

In the Lancaster area, I would concentrate on one area. My suggestion is to go to Bird-In-Hand. If the weather cooperates, go for a buggy ride, either Aaron's & Jessica's or Abe's. Visit the Farmer's Market and if you have time, you might be able to visit the Amish Country Homestead.

Here is a website that has lots of suggestions:

http://www.padutchcountry.com/

If you go under Things to Do & select "Amish" you will find the places I've listed and others. When you click on them, they will have general information. The left bottom has the website listed and also shows where they are located if you click on the option for the map.

If you go under shopping & select "farmer's markets" you can find the one in Bird-In-Hand. Lots of other shopping also.

Also, develop a "just in case it rains" plan. You can still do most things (check about buggy rides, usually cancelled).

Hope this helps and it's not too late. Also, if you need any of the Hershey short cut driving directions and don't see this post until after 10 tonight, I will check again at 5:30 in the morning when I get up.

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

If you like shopping, go a little further up to Intercourse, and stroll through Kitchen Kettle Village, and the pretty shops along rt. 340. The Kling house is a nice place to have lunch, but you might spend quite a while in there. Another suggestion would be to go to Dienners for lunch, on Rt. 30. It is a buffet, but it is the best in town, and not expensive. Enjoy.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I will research this. I would really appreciate it if you could please tell us the shortcuts and the best way to go from Hersheys to Lancaster. I will check again in the morning.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Forgot to ask which direction you're coming from. But here they are:

If coming 78W to 81S, get off of 81S at exit 77 taking 39S to Hershey. When you arrive at the stop light that crosses Hershey Park Dr, continue straight like the Park Signs are pointing on Park Blvd. Stay in the fartherest left lane and do not turn into the park entrance that swings behind the Giant Center (Stadium). Park Rd swings left and in about a half of a mile, you will see CW parking on the left.

If coming 76W (turnpike) to 283 to 322E to Hershey, ignore the signs when you get to Hershey that have you loop around to Hershey Park. Continue straight on the road you're on (get in left lane if traffic is slowed down since you're not going to follow the signs for the park.) This road will automatically turn to 422E. Continue about 2 miles into the town of Hershey passing thru several lights until you start see the Hershey Kiss street lights (Rt 422 will also be call W Chocolate Ave at this point). At the next light, take a left onto Mill Rd. Follow it under the railroad bridge and to the left as it becomes Park Blvd. After a half mile or so with the park on your right, you will see the signs for CW parking lot on the right.

Here is the mapquest link that you can decrease or increase the magnification on:

atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp…

When you leave CW, turn right out of the parking lot onto Park Blvd. Take a left at the light onto Hershey Park Dr. Continue on this road and when it veers left after McDonald's, it will become W Govenor's Rd. Ignore all signs for highways, etc, just stay on the road. After driving past Penn State Hershey Med Center and the rest of the hospital's campus, you will come up to a light where the street is Cherry Dr. (Karns Market is at that light). Go straight thru light to next light. It will be Fishburn Rd/Rt 743S. Take a right on that. Just continue on that road for about 9 miles or so and you will find Rt 283. Follow the signs to Lancaster. When you get close to Lancaster, this road will automatically turn to Rt 30 east (do not follow the Rt 30 west signs, just keep going straight). Stay on it and you will make your way to Bird-in-Hand.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

P.S. Ignore the red star on the map. It's just the town, not CW. The closer map does show the street names I've mentioned. You may have to use the left arrow to follow the close map in to CW. It's on there.

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Hi, We just visited Lancaster (Bird in Hand area) today and did the Aaron and Jessica buggy rides and really enjoyed them. It is on Old Phila. Pike in front of Plain and Fancy Restaurant.

Have a safe and fun trip. Remember many Amish shops and restaurants are closed on Sunday. Some restaurants will take a reservation for Mother's day.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Hawk - Glad you enjoyed your day in Lancaster on Saturday. smili was suppose to visit yesterday also, so hopefully they had a good time.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

Iwanttogo:

Thank you very much for your help. I have been busy with my guests and so couldn't reply earlier. We had a late start but managed to cover both attractions and had a fun day in PA.

Thanks again.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

smili

Your welcome!

10. Re: Amish County and Hersheys Chocolate Factory Tomorrow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations