We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Valley Center, KS
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

We will be staying on the Susquehanna river just S. of Lancaster and taking a day trip to Philadelphia. The Microsoft Streets & Trips program suggests a route taking the Penn. Tournpike (I-76) over to Philly, but it looks like taking Hwy 30 would be shorter unless there is a lot of traffic making for a longer trip. We are looking for the fastest route.

Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

My wife and I have stayed in Lancaster a couple of times on vacation, and had driven into Philly.Both times we drove in on Rt.30, with no problems. If memory serves me correctly, the trip was approximately 1hour - 1hour,15 min.Have a Great trip.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

Well, the turnpike is pretty fast, but we usually go the "Free" route. Not sure which is actually faster though.

We take 30W to 202N and then get onto 76E. But just a warning, you very well might get behind a truck. There's only 1 place to pass between the outlets and where 30 business splits. So it could be slow moving depending on the day.

But the nice thing about taking this route is that there are plenty of places to stop and shop, if you're looking for touristy things. And it's less boring.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

I would think the PA Turnpike would be fastest. Route 30 is full of towns, lights, stores, traffic. From Lancaster you can get on the turnpike at the Reading interchange or the Lebanon/Lancaster. The Reading interchange is reached via Rt. 222 which is a four lane highway. I don't know what type of road it is to the Lebanon/Lancaster interchange except at the interchange it is just a two lane road.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

Philadelphia is a big place, so it depends where you are going, but if you are going to Independence Mall, Taking 222 north from Lancaster, getting the turnpike to Valley Forge, and the Expressway downtown is better than 30, especially the last twenty or so miles when it narrows to town streets and winds through the Main Line area. Incidentally, both routs are very "special" during rush hours. If you could go early or after communting times it would be much, much easier.

Enjoy your visit!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

as I read your post I def. got a little chuckle over route 30 being thought of as a highway. Even though it may seem like a shorter route, a part of the trip will be through a high traffic one lane portion of the road where if your unlucky this may double your travel time. furthermore even before you reach this portion you must go past lancasters outlet/tourist area

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

Take 30 East to 100 North, which connects to the Turnpike. Then Turnpike east.

100 is a prettier ride than 222.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

100 N are you talking bout pottstown pike ?

8. Re: Best route from Lancaster to Philadelphia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 02:19