We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

approx costing???

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
approx costing???

Hi, we are planning to drive around Pennsyilvania Dutch country in March/April for one week exploring the Amish way of life and the beautiful countryside. (Husband and wife, 30 & 33, no kids)

I am trying to set out a budget.

We are happy to stay at tourist class accommodation, as long as it is clean and safe. (some of the inns mentioned on this site look great) and we're all looking for value for money!

We favour eating at local establishments, shunning overpriced haute cusine.

Any rough estimates at food, accommodation and sightseeing costs?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: approx costing???

Carl: Lancaster is not that big so you can set up at one hotel for the week and then each day explore a different side (i.e. one day head East for the outlets and Amish sites, one day head in another direction (see my post about Roots market under...if you have any questions) You can even spend a day in Hershey only 45 minutes from the hotel. Lets see prices....

I love the Fairfield Inn on Manheim Pike. Between $89 - $99 a night. (Might even get cheaper if you stay a week) It has easy on and off ramp to routes 30 and 283 (major routes around here) it is clean and safe and you even get a nice continental b-fast each morning. I put my parents up here when they visit and they love it.

If you like eating at local places the two of you can get away pretty cheap. Lancaster is big on "nights." For example if you go to Mosby's Pub in Mt Joy on Thursday it is Wing night. You could eat dozens of buffalo wings (IMHO the best ever) and drink a couple of beers for under $20.00. Eat lunch at Roots on Tuesday while you are walking for less than $10. (You actually could fill up on samples for free!) Head up to S. Clyde Weavers brand new cafe and have sandwiches and fresh ground coffee/tea (free refills) for less than $10.00

I hope this helped. Any more questions please ask.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: approx costing???

carl: If you want Penn Dutch food, I would suggest avoiding the touristy places and eat where the local plain people tend to go. The Lititz Family Cupboard (you guessed it - in Lititz) is owned by locals and has some of the best local food around on their buffet for around $10. Home made noodles, sometimes potpie, roasted chicken, bread stuffing, baked lima beans, chow chow, buttered white corn, and a whole host of homebaked goods for dessert. Also while you are in Lititz, before dinner, stop at the Wilber Chocolate factory, the Sturgus Pretzel bakery (the nations oldest) and stroll thru the park up to the huge spring head. You won't be disappointed.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: approx costing???

PA Dutch has always been my most econimical vacations. You can get rooms for 59.00 and up per night according to what amenities at the hotel you are looking for. I have been going since I am a little kid and enjoy every visit when I come back.

Food is very reasonable especially at some of the buffets. Some hotels may offer breakfast too that is included, like if you choose to stay at a Bed & Breakfast.

If you go to the http://www.800padutch.com you can pick what you would like to see and do and get prices for sightseeing.

Deb

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: approx costing???

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Days Inn in Lancaster! It is the most disgusting chain hotel that I have ever heard of. I am not sure what to recommend, as Lancaster is only about a half an hour from where I live and it is close enough to home that my family don't have to stay overnight anywhere.

If you want to eat out but not waste your money on overpriced food, Kreider Farms Restaurant has excellent food at a reasonable price. They are supposed to have really good ice cream (27 or 28 different flavors!) if you save enough room for dessert. They have a website at www.kreiderfarms.com, which has their locations and menus on. I didn't know they had three locations, to be honest.

If you have any other questions, I will try my best to help you out.

Have a good time!

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: approx costing???

Excuse my bad english-I should have used doesn't instead of don't. Anyhow, I do have a few hotel suggestions. Another hotel to avoid is the Travelodge (I guess that's what it's called now) on Lititz Pike. It is one of those hotels that frequently changes names. It should probably just close as it is dirty and rundown. One option that I would like to suggest is the Holiday Inn Express, which just was renovated and was formerly a Park Inn. It is located off of route 30 amongst the Rockvale Outlets. The location is very good and set back from road enough that noise isn't an issue. If you want to spend a little more money for something nicer, try the Country Inn and Suites by Carlson. (Be aware that there is a Country Inn nearby too, but that's not the hotel I am talking about). It is just down the road from the HIE, in the same relative location. I think either hotel that I have suggested would be worth checking into. The Country Inn and Suites by Carlson is in a busier location, across from Dutch Wonderland, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem when you are going. Enjoy your stay!

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: approx costing???

I agree with many about avoid the tourist hype things. Lancaster county is beautiful and full of good choices. If you really want value I would suggest Bird in Hand. They have great accomodations and the restaurant is Good! Local Food. They support local farms. They supply the restaurant with their own bake goods. I worked in many kitchens around the county and I must say the stardard for clean is far above many others. Check out the website: www.birdinhand.com

the Smucker family will be great host and hostess to you while you visit!!!!

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: approx costing???

I love Bird in Hand Family Inn and have stayed there numerous times. The only problem is getting reservations sometimes..........so book early.

Deb