We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

1990dtgl98
1 post
Save Topic
Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

Hey all. My graduation is fast approaching and my parents are coming down and are willing to take me and my fiance to any restaraunt near Lancaster. I figure, if I'm too broke to try somewhere nice, now's my chance.

Here's the deal, there will be 8 of us inlcuding a 8yo and 16yo, as well as my grandparents, so it has to be able to be upscale but not overly so. I have tried Fenz and Gibraltar before, so I cna always rely on those, though I would like to try something new.

I heard about Carr's, John J. Jefferies, The Belvedere, Jospehines, etc. I was just wondering what you guys thought was the best that is also not too "out there" in menu selection since we have the 2 younger people.

Thanks!

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

If you've got younger persons in your party, I would probably stay away from John J. Jefferies. We took our daughter there and even though she's a very good eater, there was little on the menu that appealed to her and it's $$, it's definately 'out there'. We do like Gibraltar and it's a very nice atmosphere as well. Belvedere also has a good menu - just ignore the grouchy woman at the hostess desk. Never been to Josephine's. Effie Ophelia's has wonderful food, but it would be in the same category as JJJ. You might also try looking at the Olde Greenfield Inn. Very nice, good food, reasonably priced and they're 'kid friendly' without being too much so.

Hope this helps. Congratulations on your graduation. Send me a note if you're looking for suggestions for accommodations.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

Checker's is always my favorite. Large, varied menu, great service, great atmosphere and amazing food.

Have fun! And congrats on the graduation!

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

We've never eaten in Lancaster proper, and I've heard there are very good restaurants in the city limits. But we did have a very good experience last December at Olde Greenfield Inn, not far from Lancaster. www.theoldegreenfieldinn.com/dining.htm. It's not haute cuisine by any means, but good food, well-prepared, in a charming setting.

Unfortunately they don't post a full menu, and I can't remember whether there'd be anything appealing to teens & younger. But the ambience is lovely and the service was fabulous. My brief review is here on TA: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g52970-d4105…

Congratulations on the degree! And the upcoming wedding!

And welcome to TripAdvisor. Hope you'll post for many more years about all the travels your future undoubtedly holds.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

Congratulations on you upcoming graduation.

I would recommend eating at The Loft, it is located in downtown lancaster. It is a restaurant along the lines that you have described, upscale but not overtly so. They serve an american continental menu which includes steaks, a variety of fish and seafood, to roast chicken. The meal includes salad served family style which is really unique and would def. suit you "large" group. Lastly I know from seeing others with children that the chef will prepare something for them maybe a half portion or something from their lunch menu such as a sandwich

hope you have fun graduating and have a enjoyable evening where ever you choose

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

I love Carr's, but it is pricey and the menu is a bit shorter than some other places. Don't rule it out thought. I would probably do the Stockyard Inn - it's close, and has a nice menu selection imo.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

I highly recommend the Stockyard Inn Restaurant! I've eaten there many, many time and have always had a great experience. Being a Lancaster native, I can tell you this restaurant is a famous tradition here and I'm sure your parents, grandparents, and other family members will all enjoy it. They serve the classics - fabulous steaks, crabcakes, etc. - as well as very innovative dishes - something to please everyone. Grandparents may not relish the dishes in restaurants which get too exotic with their sauces, etc. - and don't offer other choice - SYI has both - I've treated my family their on several occasions and everyone left happy. ALso - as far as "FINE DINING" goes, I feel the prices there are very modest - they have a great "Lite Fare" menu too. I wouldn't hesitate to take you celebration there - congrats. on your graduation!

7. Re: Best upscale restaraunt in/near Lancaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster