We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family campground recommendation?

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Family campground recommendation?

We are going tent camping next month with two couples and four kids age 12 to 16. Went to Spring Gulch last summer and really enjoyed it but we'd like to try somewhere new. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations that meet our requirements or at least most of them: 1. large tent sites - we don't want to be crammed between RVS, 2. grass (not gravel) sites, 3. at least partly wooded - not wide open, 4. activities for the kids - pool, gameroom, etc. Thanks for any help!

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family campground recommendation?

I have heard good things about lake in wood. i don't camp, so i'm no help with the details, sorry!

lakeinwoodcampground.com/accommodations.html

i also know people who return to red run frequently

http://redruncampground.com/

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family campground recommendation?

Thanks - I'll be sure to check out both of those!

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family campground recommendation?

We have always liked Starlite, which is north of Lancaster. They have a lot of activities, such as bingo and ceramics on the weekends. There is a large outdoor pool and they do have an arcade as well as mini golf. The sites are nicely spaced apart and I think that you would enjoy staying here too! Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.starlitecampingresort.com

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family campground recommendation?

sac2008 - I actually came across the website for Starlite and it looks nice. Do you know if the tent sites are in a separate area from the RV sites and are the tent sites wooded? Thanks!

Marcy

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family campground recommendation?

If I remember correctly the tent sites are in a separate section. Most of the campground is wooded/in the shade. Hope this helps.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family campground recommendation?

That sounds great! Thanks so much for your help.

Northampton, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family campground recommendation?

I'm not sure if you are looking to camp in the state of PA or outside of the state, but, if you and your children are into American history, I can't say enough about GETTYSBURG! We took our three daughters, ages 4, 8 and 12 and stayed at the KOA campground in Gettysburg and loved every minute of our stay. We did not do the "tent" thing, I must admit we stayed in a very well accomodated "Kamping Kabin", that offered a full bathroom and kitchen along with airconditioning. All we had to do is bring the linens and food. We stayed for three days and could have stayed for a week or more and not seen everything. This particular campground offered a "ghost walk" to those staying on site around the campground by candlelight to put you in the mood. We also purchased a Mark Nesbit midnight ghost walk around the downtown area of Gettysburg. We did the tour bus thing as well and opted for the airconditioned tour over the open air top of the bus thing specifically because we wanted a live tour guide as apposed to listening to historical facts on headphones as the bus drove through the town of Gettysburg. We toured the museums and ate at the Farnsworth House and then toured the Farnsworth House and learned about its haunted history. Truly a great family trip and so far our family's favorite vacation destination. Hope this helps a little! Happy travels!

Northampton, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family campground recommendation?

I forgot to mention that the campground has a great pool and does plan nightly family activities as well. Search under KOA campsites, chose PA, and Gettysburg.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family campground recommendation?

Thanks, but we've been to Gettysbug several times, both hotel and camping. This time we are meeting friends where the Lancaster area is about midway. But thanks for the tips anyway!

PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family campground recommendation?

Starlite is a great campground, we love it there. There are only a few sites that are in the sun area and they are all for RV hookups. The rest of the sites are wooded. There are great hiking trails right next door at the Middle Creek Wildlife Area too.

Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations