We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

I am hoping to get some feedback regarding an outing I'm planning for a group of about 20 high school students and their host families later this fall. The host families include young children to grandparents and the exchange students are 16-18, from all over the world.

We are coming up from Delaware, so we'll probably just do a Saturday day trip, though I am thinking of offering group camping, if it isn't too cold in late October.

Here's my itinerary draft:

*meet at Mennonite Info Center 9 am

*Allow Tanger outlet center time/or alternative?

*11:30 meet at a good Smorgasbord

*head up to Cherry Crest/Corn Maze

Any other suggestions or feedback?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

Late October weather can be balmy to cold (sometimes in a single weekend!) Pretty risky for outdoor camping, maybe consider staying in the train cabooses in Strasburg/Ronks:

www.redcaboosemotel.com

As for an itinerary, I'd poll your group rather than ask us what they would like to do, but personally, I think it would be a shame to spend a sizeable chunk of your limited time here at the outlet malls.

Just as a suggestion to consider, you could customize a bus tour to include the things your group is interested in, & this could include some shopping time, but for this (again, my opinion) there are better alternatives to the malls. Your smorgasbord meal could be integrated into the tour (the tour operator likely can offer a better group rate than you would be able to negotiate yourself). Check out

www.conestogatours.com

Also, the PA Dutch Tourist Bureau at Rt 30 (bypass)& Hempstead/Greenfield Rd. is probably a better choice for initial orientation to the area. They have a great film & tons of literature.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

I'd suggest a trip on the Stasburg Railroad to see the Lancaster County countryside instead of the Tanger Outlet Center. There is nothing that special about the outlets in Lancaster as compared to the many outlet malls throughout the country. I'd rather get a feel for the countryside in that area.

http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

If you want to include a shopping component in your day, I'd suggest Kitchen Kettle Village. They have unique speciality stores and things more specific to Lancaster County. The Jam & Relish Kitchen store would allow them to purchase some Lancaster County type foods.

http://www.kitchenkettle.com/

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

I have a different opinion of the shopping. I coordinated 20 foreign exchange students about 7 years ago and also hosted 2 students.

We went to DC, City Island for a ball game, and Hershey Park. What they wanted to do every chance they got? Shop, shop, shop! That is the feedback I received from the students and the host families stated it was the most common request from their students. Many countries do not have malls and strip shopping centers like we do. Also, name brand clothing is a bargain here in the states compared to European countries.

I vote to keep the shopping in.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

Thanks so much for your feedback and suggestions!

I feel like I should interject - I am afraid that the outlet shopping must stay.

While I'm not a shopper myself, many of the host families, not to mention the visiting teenagers, like nothing more to shop. The rumor of wonderful Tanger Outlet shopping has already made its way through the group and I fear mutany if I don't provide the opportunity, at least for a little while...

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

If the outlet shopping is a "must do", you may want to check the website for the Rockvale Outlets mall in Lancaster as well. It's only a mile or two down the road from Tanger and offers about 100 stores compared to Tangers 60. We've shopped both while on numerous vacations in the area and had good luck at both. Just didn't want your hard-core shoppers to miss out.

Would agree that info center on Greenfield Rd will provide a good orientation and it's closer to the shopping areas than the Mennonite Center.

Corn Maze is a great idea, but if time permits, I'd work in the Strasbug Railroad ride first, just to provide an overview of how the cornfields fit into the overall character of the area.

Good luck and have fun!

NY
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

I found the cornfield maze to be thin (the corn stalks )and not as much fun later in the season. If that's the case, there isn't much else for them to do at the maze area, it's for younger children. I agree they will probably want to shop. The railroad would be nice, even though there are many young children there, I find everyone enjoys the ride. They might also enjoy an hour or so at The village greens miniature golf. It's beautifully done.

8. Re: Group of High School Exchange Students and Host Families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 12:38