We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

PA
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

My husband and I are celebrating out 17th wedding anniversary and want a quick getaway. We only live 1 1/2 hours away, but have never planned a visit before.

We would be going next weekend, the 18th and 19th. We would love to stay at a nice hotel or inn that would be close to unique shops(no outlets please!).

I would also like recommendations for a nice restaraunt that would allow for a leisurely meal with cocktails and a good selection of wines.

Thanks!!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

If I was going to do that, I would go into the city and look at the Lancaster Arts Hotel or the new Marriott. The Arts Hotel is a small boutique hotel, and it has a fine dining restaurant which is currently at the top of my personal dining list - John J. Jeffries. There are also lots of other great dining options. You will find lots of unique shopping in the city, and certainly no outlets. It is also quite easy to make your way out to the country side for a drive through Amish country to enjoy that part of Lancaster Co. as well.

Enjoy!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

littlecoconut, I def would agree on staying at the arts hotel, a friend used to work there and I will attest to the fact that the rooms are some of the nicest in the county or the new Marriot from which I have heard a room on a higher floors gives you a beautiful view of the city.

As for dinning I would def. have to recommend The Loft restaurant in downtown lancaster, for an upscale dinner I think there is no better in the area.

And for a little insider information if you choose to dine there when making a reservation ask if the wine room is available. It is a small room tucked away from the main dining room that only has two booths, which makes it a much more intimate evening.

Also I believe if you inform them that it is a special occasion they will do their best to not seat the other table because each time we have done that we have had the room to ourselves.

Lastly one of my fav. things they do is give you chocolate covered strawberries w/ you check.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

I would highly recommend the Amishvew Inn & Suites, which is conveniently located on Rt. 340 in Bird-in-Hand. We have stayed here twice and just love it. It is a beautiful little Inn and even has a delicious full breakfast buffet every morning. Tip: When you call to reserve a room, be sure to ask for a room located at the back of the Inn. You will have a great view of the rolling farmlands and may even catch a glimpse of some of the Amish farmers working in their fields. If you check out all of the reviews on the Amishview Inn & Suites, you will see that you can't go wrong.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

If you want something special, stay away from the tourist trap hotels and stay at a B&B. It's a truly unique experience and you will not regret it. To find one that suits you, go to www.authenticbandb.com where you can search by location, amenities, etc. The people who own and operate these B&B's provide the best in customer service and will certainly do their best to make sure your anniversary is special. Check out the reviews of the B&B's on Trip Advisor!!

As far as restaurant with a good wine selection, you can't beat Strawberry Hill.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

I just returned from the Lancaster Arts Hotel and I would recommend it. It is very clean with great service and we stayed in an artist suite which I would highly recommend. I was able to save $90 per night by checking Expedia rates. The bar and restaurant are very nice and there is a nice Italian rest next door(Rosa Rosa). Downtown Lancaster is very nice with Pubs,Stores,Restaurants and the central Market. I really believe you will like this much better than staying at any of the chain motels/hotels on Rt 30 with it's chain restuarants and outlets.

NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

If you are looking into staying in the "Amish Country" vs. downtown, look into the lodging by Kitchen Kettle Village. I've not stayed there (I stay in one of those horrible chain places lol). we love the place we stay, and we are usually on girls shopping trips, but I've heard the Kitchen Kettle rooms are real nice. Also, I believe the Amish View and Inn is nice. Both of these places are on Rt. 340 in Intercourse, and right near some very pretty shops (not the outlets). If you want a really nice dinner stick with one of the places downtown. I had dinner in a really nice place , forgot the name, so I'm no use there, but it was across the street from the college in the downtown area. Really great food and service, if it comes to me, I'll re-post, but the others have mentioned some places downtown to eat. Enjoy your trip.

NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

The restaurant was Gibralter. It was very good.

8. Re: 17th Anniversary!! Where to stay? where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster