We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kutztown Festival?

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kutztown Festival?

Has anyone ever gone and what is your opinion on it?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kutztown Festival?

We've gone several times. The quilt display alone is worth the price of admission. In general the food is quite good (especially the ox roast)

The demnstrations and presentations are hit or miss, some interesting (particularly the sheep shearing), some tedious.

All in all an interesting day, especially if one wants to learn more about the folkways and history of the 'FANCY" (as opposed to 'PLAIN") Pennsylvania Dutch.

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kutztown Festival?

I'm glad you brought this up. My husband and I are going on a roadtrip,and it starts in Gettysburg, and we will be passing Kutztown. I haven't been there since I was a little girl. We'll check it out for an hour or so.

Elkton, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kutztown Festival?

I had a travel book that gave this festival several pages...for years I wanted to go. We finally went in 2008. It was nice, but I was expecting something much bigger. It's sort of like what we call a lawn party. The entertainment was a family of various ages and skill levels singing and playing instruments, there were some nice displays about barn raising and such that were geared toward children, some animals, many food booths (very tasty), and many booths set up selling crafty things. Then there was a small group of amusement rides. We walked from one end to the other and ate dinner there. It took not more than 3 hours. I also think that the $12 was a bit much for admission. Make sure you go to their website and get a coupon so you save a couple bucks.

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kutztown Festival?

Thanks Mittmont... I was afraid of that. Sounds like fun but not something to make a trip to Lancaster for. I think we are holding off until Oct. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kutztown Festival?

Kutztown Festival- My husband and I went down to PA this weekend and stopped at the fair on our way back to NJ .We are fiftysomethings ,and went without our kids(ages 18 to 29). We had a nice time, and would go back if nearby, but not drive there for it alone.We saved 2 dollars each with a coupon. Most of the food is incredibly fattening,and lots of saturated fats are featured.I managed to find some great fruit salad, and almost ordered sweet potato fries (they smelled amazing!!).If you go bring plenty of water, as is is very sunny.I couldn't believe how many people walked around without hats.There is plenty of interesting stuff to buy,but that isn't where the admisson fee goes.There is a shuttle bus,and alot of unusual stuff to see; they even have a reenactment of a hanging,3 or 4 times a day!( We missed it ).I especially liked watching the glass blowing.Many people volunteer their time at this event, and I think the 20 dollars we spent will go to many worthy programs in the community .Be sure to wear a hat!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
107 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kutztown Festival?

Kutztown Festival- My husband and I went down to PA this weekend and stopped at the fair on our way back to NJ .We are fiftysomethings ,and went without our kids(ages 18 to 29). We had a nice time, and would go back if nearby, but not drive there for it alone.We saved 2 dollars each with a coupon. Most of the food is incredibly fattening,and lots of saturated fats are featured.I managed to find some great fruit salad, and almost ordered sweet potato fries (they smelled amazing!!).If you go bring plenty of water, as is is very sunny.I couldn't believe how many people walked around without hats.There is plenty of interesting stuff to buy,but that isn't where the admisson fee goes.There is a shuttle bus,and alot of unusual stuff to see; they even have a reenactment of a hanging,3 or 4 times a day!( We missed it ).I especially watching the glass blowing.Many people volunteer their time at this event, and I think the 20 dollars we spent will go to many worthy programs in the community .Be sure to wear a hat!

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kutztown Festival?

Thank you fauxmaven. I'm passing by on Friday, on my way to Gettysburg. I'll post about it when I get a chance. I'm bringing my laptop, so if I'm not too tired I'll post that night. I thought it would be fun for an hour or two, I can't spend too much time there. If the weather is extremely hot, like we have in NY right now, I might pass it by, if it's all open and sunny there.

NY
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kutztown Festival?

Well, we went there today. It's alright. It isn't worth the admission price, or a special trip there in my opinion. It was pretty hot today, which made walking in the sun not the greatest idea. I was hoping for more of the primitives in the way of crafts. My husband thought it was boring. We covered everything, not stopping for demonstrations, in an hour. It was worth it to me to see it, I haven't been there since I was about 10.,, but I wouldn't go back. If you are passing through, you might want to stop, but unless there is something there you just need to get, it's not worth a special trip.

9. Re: Kutztown Festival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 05:16