We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

Until very recently this troubled property on Keller Ave. in Lancaster was wearing a "Rodeway Inn" sign, but that was evidently yanked so abruptly there is now only a pole with no sign on it at the main entrance.

On a separate signpost a few hundred feet away is a new sign that reads "Hearthside Inn."

I can't find anything on the web about this re-branding, but I would caution would-be guests to be asking a lot of questions.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

Thanks for sharing. The property was removed from the Choice hotels website a few months ago. My aunt goes by the hotel when she goes to the car wash. She told me that the Rodeway Inn sign was still up, so I wasn't sure what was going on. I heard from a recent reviewer that the land has been sold, so perhaps this hotel's days are numbered.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

I think that "Hearthside Inn" is just a temporary name for the hotel. The hotel is hoping to join the Country Hearth Inn chain in the near future. Whatever the case may be, I wouldn't recommend staying there at all!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
713 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

Totally irrelevant, but seeing this post brought back such memories. I used to go to that hotel with my family every winter when I was a kid back in the early 70's when it was Host Farm, an all-inclusive and really nice. Just for kicks, I took my husband and kids to see it when we were in the area a few years ago and what a dump it turned into! Smelly lobby in dire need of new carpeting, pool was cracked and peeling, etc. Oh well.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

The hotel became a Days Inn in 1987. It is a shame what has become of this hotel in recent years. It is poorly maintained and has been the site of many police incidents, such as a shooting at the hotel's bar and a major drug bust. It was named one of America's dirtiest hotels two years in a row by Trip Advisor when it was still a Days Inn. I hate to say this, but I think the only hope for this place is a bulldozer. What was once a resort-like hotel is now a filthy, run-down dump that I wouldn't even recommend to my worst enemy. What ever this place is called, DON'T stay there. You have been warned!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

mercifully, the previous tenants of this place have "thrown in the towel."

Here's hoping the bulldozers are not far behind....

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

The hotel is currently for sale. It is my understanding that most of the hotel will be demolished but the building with the lobby will remain. I think that the entire place should be shut down and demolished. There was just an assault there last week as well as a fire in the hotel's shed. I'm sure that the Manheim Township police would like this place to close too!

7. Re: Yet another chapter in the saga of the former Host Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 05:17