We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Cottage B/B

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Cottage B/B

Girls trip to Lancaster last week. I made some reservations and friend made the Kings reservations. Kings have a 15 day cancellation policy. I did not know that! How horrible. We had a concern and needed to cancel that part of trip. Gave 72 hours notice... Anne at Kings Cottage said she would not refund the full deposit she took. If we did not show up we would loose our money. How horrible, she did not care about our need to change. My advise, why stay at that place with that type of cancellation policy? So if you want to stay in Lancaster... , there are many great places to stay... Best Western Eden Resort was fine

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Sorry to hear that you had to change your plans. No one likes to do that. How did you not know about the cancellation policy. It's quite clear on their website.

Yes, places like the Best Western do have a much more liberal cancellation policy, but then, the BW has dozens and dozens of rooms, so if one goes unclaimed for the night, it's no big dea. However, Kings Cottage has 8 rooms. So, if they've reserved a room for you, and you cancel and they can't fill the room, then it's direct loss out of their pocket. There's no telling how many requests they might have turned them down because it was reserved for you.

Part of the charm of a B&B is its intimacy and the personal touch provided. Along with that come some policies that have to be put in place to conduct business effectively.

So, my advice would be to read the policies BEFORE making the reservation. You save money and the innkeeper doesn't have to look like the bad guy (which they're not).

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Anne is clearly the bad guy. I did not know the policy because my friend did the booking and I trusted that she would not dbook at a place like this.... I know life does get in the way. I feel she could have booked the roomsor been more kind about the matter. It is in the past and I am warning people going to Lancaster to be aware and do not be like me, trusting or a friend. Never book at a place with a 15 day policy...... life does get in the way buyers be ware........

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

It seems that some places, especially in tourist areas, are not oriented toward repeat business. Guess the supply of tourists appears never ending, so they can just move on to new customers. Glad this forum (and others) helps us sort out the people friendly locations. Always read the reviews and websites, FIRST.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Hmmmm - "I did not know the policy because my friend did the booking and I trusted that she would not book a place like this...." but now the innkeeper is "clearly the bad guy" because she stuck to her published cancellation policy?

Some properties have stricter cancellation policies than others, which is their right as the property owner. Part of the customer's responsibility is to determine what the applicable policy is prior to finalizing the booking, and then determine whether or not they find that policy acceptable.

Apparently your "friend" had no problem with the policy at King's Cottage because she made the reservation......seems a bit incongruous to now blame the innkeeper for sticking to a published policy which your friend accepted by making the booking.

To make sure you understand the cancellation policy before finalizing a reservation is wise advise for any stay, anywhere -- but to transfer the blame from your friend to the property owner seems to be a bit of scapegoating to me.....

Your friend may have made a mistake by accepting the cancellation policy and making the booking.....don't compound the error by trying to make the property owner "the bad guy" -- just doesn't pass the "straight face" test.

Your party made the booking that included the cancellation policy; your cancellation didn't meet the agreed-upon terms; the innkeeper exercised her rights under the terms of your booking agreement; live with it !

Edited: 29 August 2010, 03:10
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Well said, Mainer!!

NY
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Teach1977, This is why I only book with chain hotels. People laugh and call me the cookie cutter type, but I know what I want to find, when I get somewhere. I want clean and modern, and someone to complain to , if something is truly wrong. Most private places, hotels included, (not just b and b's) have strict cancellation policies. Most big chains have very liberal cancellation policies. I've stayed in the best western eden inn, by the way, a very nice place, but if you ever return, try the best western revere inn.. Not as fancy, but just as clean and still modern looking with a free breakfast. You would save quite a bit there vs. the eden, and it's in a more country like setting. I'm already planning next summer's road trip with my husband, and even though I can stay cheaper, and in better locations, with private places, I don't know what I'll really find, and I don't want to lose money, if I can't keep the reservation, so I'm booking basically all Hamptons, and the likes.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

Mainer and mittmott both have excellent points! And mitmott is very smart to know what she wants and do her homework to help her find it. B&B's are not for everyone, as she clearly points out. Some folks are more adverturesome than others. Some take comfort in knowing EXACTLY what to expect. And TripAdvisor is a wonderful resource for people who have different tastes and expectations.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

sometimes our life gets in the way and stuff happens,,,,, an inkeeper needs to undertand that...,,,, bend with the flow of life... and I do agree with all that was said....... I will continue to say we must all bend with life and stuff does happen to us... Anne from the B/B wa only concerned with her inn. that was hard to understand!

9. Re: Kings Cottage B/B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 07:35
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster