We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls to Washington

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls to Washington

We are Australians driving from Buffalo on our way to Washington, via Gettysburg. There are several route options for us to take, does anyone know what are the advantages of travelling any of these routes - US 15S, PA 287S and US 219S.

Route US 219s looks the most picturesqe, as it travels mostly past the forests, and more towns.

All routes look like they take the same time - within 20 mins of each other.

Are all 3 routes sealed road ?

Finally I'd like to see a bit of Amish country, and as time is of the essence for us, we do not have time to explore Lancaster. Will we see any Amish country along these routes, and maybe somewhere to purchase quilts ?

Thanks for any info, don't be shy ! :)

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
987 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls to Washington

The route you ask about is particularly tricky, due to the mountains in the middle of the state. When I go from Gettysburg to State College, I always find it galling to go east just to come back west. However, when I've tried the routes that look more direct on the map, I have found that they are sometimes riddled with tricky turns. Also, I once took cranky kids on a trip south between Huntingdon and the Maryland line...the roads I chose had very few food stops, leading to much grumbling in the car!

So, although you will go east to come back west, I think it will be worth it in terms of time and convenience to take US-15. You'll find places for food and gas along the way. Lewisburg has three wonderful playgrounds for kids, quite close to US-15, and is a great stop. There are Amish communities on PA 45 west of Lewisburg--check out the area's tourism bureau here:

http://www.visitcentralpa.org/

I'm sure if you call someone will be able to direct you to a reputable place to buy quilts.

Good luck with your planning!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls to Washington

If I am looking at the map correctly, 219 will take you into the Laurel Highlands - very far from Amish Country. To see Lancaster, your best bet is definitely to use 15 and go to Lancaster first, then Gettysburg, then Washington. That will provide the least amount of backtracking. We took our kids via this route to Niagara Falls this past Summer. Trust me, it was plenty out of the way and scenic for us for very large stretches of the drive. ;) If you are looking for a scenic spot to get out and stretch your legs about 1/2 way, consider Wellsboro and/or the nearby Grand Canyon of PA.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls to Washington

If you use US route 15 to travel south through Pennsylvania, you will pass through a very small Amish area south of Selinsgrove, PA near the Port Treverton area. There are a few places that sell quilts right along route 11/15 in that area. There is also a very small Amish roadside stand that sells produce, plants, etc, in that area. Just note that none of this will be open on a Sunday.

4. Re: Niagara Falls to Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:18