We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Amish Country ?

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Amish Country ?

Hi everybody,

We (me and my husband) are thinking to visit the Amish Country as we heard so many things about it ... We have never been in the area and have no ideea what to start with ...

Can you please guide us a little bit - what hotel should we book just for one night and what towns / farms should we visit ?

Thank you in advance

NY
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

If you are looking into the "Pennsylvania Dutch" area, and not downtown Lancaster, some good choices of hotels are Best Western Revere Inn, clean modern rooms in main building with free breakfast, reasonably priced, The Best Western Eden Inn, fancier then the above place, but more money, no breakfast included, Fulton Steamboat, not stayed but it gets great reviews, and the Amish Inn and Suites, also not stayed but gets good reviews. You will find most of the attractions on Route 30 and route 340. The towns you will actually be in include, Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Strasburg, Lancaster, Ronks, Paradise. On route 340 you will find quaint shops with country and primitives, all around and outside of Kitchen Kettle Village. You will find some stores and the outlets along route 30... In Strasburg you will find a quaint little town with shops and the Strasburg railroad.Just driving through the farmland is beautiful and you will come across farmstands and shops. One really good place to eat, buffet or off the menu is Dienners on Route 30... Very inexpensive , but truly fresh homemade food. Go online to Padutchcountry, and a few other sites for more ino....and to download a map of the area.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

Please do yourself a favor and stay at a B&B rather than a hotel. You can stay at a hotel anywhere, in any nameless city and be another yet nameless room number. A B&B experience is just that, an experience. An enhancement to your weekend getaway and not just a place to crash. They are affordable and include a wonderful breakfast, friendly concierge services, free wifi, complimentary beverages and snacks. And, hey! you just might meet some really nice people.

Stay with the people who know the towns in and out - where to go, where to shop, where to eat. Believe me, you'll be thanking yourself later instead of going on this forum to complain about the awful service (or lack of service) you got at a hotel.

Start here: www.authenticbandb.com

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

We don't know you or what you like. We don't know if you are consistency of a hotel chain type of people or intimacy of a B&B type of people. We don't know if you want to learn about the history of the area or just poke around in craft and antique stores. Or maybe you are a serious outlet shopper looking to get some deals and not pay sales tax on shoes and clothes. So, you need to learn a little bit about what's offered then ask us more specific questions. Start at the website Mittmott mentioned.

www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp…

It is the best place to get some basic idea of what is offered in the area. Think about the kinds of things you like to do when you travel and what sounds most interesting to you. Since it is rural, there are multiple areas you can visit (although they aren't far from each other). But, what you want to do and what kind of accommodations you like may dictate where people suggest you stay. Good luck in planning your first visit to my home. :)

Frankfort,NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

We travel to Lancaster every year. Here are some places that we never miss: Wilbur Chocolate Factory and The Wolf Sanctuary in Lititz, The National Christmas Center in Paradise, Roots Market (huge farm/flea market) on Tuesdays, Green Dragon Market on Fridays, eating at Shady Maple and Dienners. Just check the websites and enjoy.

Lehman, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

There are the opinions that my husband and I share. We travel to Lancaster several times a year and spend about a week there.

Hotels - 1. The Inn at Kithchen Kettle Village. (Gorgeous unique rooms, free breakfast in the Kling house restaurant. Intercourse, PA) 2. Bird in Hand Family Inn. (Large walking trail and pond, mini golf course, restaurant on site, petting zoo and playground.) 3. Amish View Inn (Upscale hotel in the middle of Amish country, free buffet breaKfast.)

Restaurants - The Bird in Hand Family Restaurant, The Family Cupboard, Miller's Smorgaspord, Fireside Tavern.

Attractions - Strasburg Railroad, Sight and Sound Theatres, Kitchen Kettle Village, Bird in Hand Farmers Market, Rockvale Square Outlets, The People's Place Quilt Museum, Abe's Buggy Rides, Aaron and Jessica's Buggy Rides, The Railroad Museum of PA

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

Great info, thanks!

Palmer,Massachusetts
Level Contributor
133 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

My wife & I have been to Lancaster County at least 3 times.We stood at Fulton's Steamboat Inn each time and we were not dissappointed.If you like theater,there is the Sight & Sound Theatre,American Music Theatre,Rainbow Dinner Theatre,and the Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre,all fairly close to each other.Their are also plenty of shopping places if you so choose.

Enjoy !!!

Maine
Level Contributor
23 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

Be aware that many of the authentic Amish farm stands, etc. will NOT be open on Sunday... Personally, I would not spend much time shopping at the outlet stores--there's too much "unique" activity in the area. For a first visit I'd consider starting with Intercourse where there's a good mix of small shops and a flavor for the area. You can spend a lot of time and money visiting tourist attractions or you can experience the area in a more "up close and personal" manner... by traveling the highways and by-ways. As I've reported elsewhere on these forums; the Amish and Mennonites are not a tourist attraction--the tourist industry has built a lot around them. Go as their guests and take some time to appreciate their life style and philosphy.

9. Re: Weekend in Amish Country ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:17