We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best country shops in Lancaster?

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best country shops in Lancaster?

Hubby and I are spending a night at the Amishview Inn for our anniversary and would like to do some shopping while we're there.

We just went for our first time last September and fell in love with the beauty of Lancaster, it was especially gorgeous in the fall. We're only and hour and a half from Lancaster, I couldn't believe what we've been missing out on all these years!

I can't remember the names of all the shops that we liked...but I remember that there was a shop called Kings and Spare Thyme (across from Kitchen Kettle Village) that I loved. Spare Thyme had all sorts of neat items...old windows made into coffee tables, old worn chairs and barnwood tables. Bought as much as I could fit into our small car.

I'm looking for shops that have more cottage-type or beach-style decorations. Last year I bought some a few worn wooden stars, a wire basket, an old boat oar, a vintage soda crate....looking for stuff like that. Not really into the "primitive" style decorations although I know thats what Lancaster gift shops are geared towards.

Can you point me in the direction of some shops that I might like? We got caught up in going to Kitchen Kettle Village, which I didn't like at all...way too touristy, not what I was looking for.

I was told by a friend to go to the craft and flower shop, but that doesn't exactly narrow things down for me? Can anyone help?

Sorry this was such a long-winded question...

NY
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

I was going to also tell you about the craft and flower shop... You will probably find some of what you are looking for there. I can't really say which of the shops you will find exactly what you are looking for, as there are so many shops, and they do change up their wares with the seasons also. I don't believe there is anyone there who specializes in only cottage or beach style to be truthful...There are some gift shops in Rockvale outlets, and maybe some of those stores will have what you are looking for... Also, try Kirkland home, in Rockvale outlet.. Really really nice shop, and you also might find what you want there... It's not a tourist gift shop.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

I've been reading about the shops in Lilitz. Do you think I'd be interested in these? Can someone be a little more specific on exactly where these shops are?

I remember there was a large Amish-run shop that was across from Kitchen Kettle Village restaurant, you had to walk down a large driveway as it was tucked back a little bit. There were young boys out front selling old horseshoes and they mostly sold furniture inside their store but they had lots of neat decorations.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

Mittmott - Thank you for your help, you were so quick in responding! The Lancaster forum isn't visited as often as many of other forums so you don't always get a reply right away.

I'm not limiiting myself to stores that ONLY sell cottage/beach decorations as I know I won't find that. I just don't want to get caught up in stores that are tourist traps like Kitchen Kettle Village (sorry but it is). Can you give me any suggestions of your favorite shops?

Is there a more formal name for the craft and flower shop? Do you know where its located?

We always make a visit to the Pottery Barn outlet (my favorite) and the Kirkland outlet so I'll be sure to hit those up while we're there!

NY
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

The flower and craft shop is located at 196 broad st. blueball, pa phone 717 355 9975 It is a huge craft shop on the ground floor, and a huge gift shop on the 2nd floor. I have found a few things over the years that I bought in the private shops , and they were cheaper here. we are going in august, and this time we are checking out this place before we wander around the kitchen kettle area in the shops. I agree , the shops inside kitchen kettle are very touristy, we usually go to deerskin leather, (great sales on uggs),and the brighton store, sometimes great buys there. We love to have lunch at the Kling house, in Kitchen Kettle, cute place. We do like the shops outside of Kitchen kettle better however, I don't know the names of the shops in particular, we just wander in and out. I know the place you mentioned with the barn type furniture, my friend bought a beautiful living room table there. We wander past kitchen kettle a little further up to the shops just past the candle barn. Then we head off down 772 to kings, etc.

There was a great shop, where the woman who owned it used to make things herself, but she has since closed, and we don't have a favorite at this point.. By the way, we did drive to lititz but we weren't impressed . A few cute shops, but it wasn't worth the drive to us, or at least for our interests. It's cute there though. Enjoy your trip.

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

the flower & craft warehouse (aka the flower warehouse) is the place you're thinking of.

i adore lititz, go there often, but there is really just a smattering of small (but lovely) shops. a nice way to spend a few hours, but probably not the place to get serious shopping done.

you might be interested in carson's:

http://www.carsonsinthecornfields.com/

i haven't been there myself, but it does seem to have quite a following.

brickerville shops are cute, must admit i haven't been there in a while

www.brickervillehouseshops.com/shops.html

hope someone else can offer some more ideas for you!

Lehman, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

Peddler's Cottage - Bird in Hand PA. You just can't beat this shop!

7. Re: Best country shops in Lancaster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:18